Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lionheart by Sharon Kay Penman

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat October 8th, 2011, 1:41 am

LOL Misfit :p you crack me up...So grab your tissues and weep profusely(it must be profusely!) :D with me as I wait and wait and wait and.....You get my drift :D waaaaaaaaaaaaaa :( :p

Bec PS Love the pic :D

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat October 8th, 2011, 2:16 am

[quote=""rebecca""]LOL Misfit :p you crack me up...So grab your tissues and weep profusely(it must be profusely!) :D with me as I wait and wait and wait and.....You get my drift :D waaaaaaaaaaaaaa :( :p

Bec PS Love the pic :D [/quote]

Hehe, just google images for pity party and what results you get. This was me waiting (im)patiently for the latest Chadwick,

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat October 8th, 2011, 7:18 pm

I am having a wonderful time with this one, and trying to both stretch it out, and to find out what happens next. I love how Penman is handling Berengaria and Joanna here, it's a real delight to see both of these ladies getting attention.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat October 8th, 2011, 7:31 pm

I don't have my copy yet. Sharon is going to be at a nearby Barnes and Nobles next Saturday so I will get a signed copy then. When I bought my Kindle, I vowed that I would buy hardcovers of Sharon's books to add to my collection. I have either signed books or bookplates for all her books.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Sintra
Reader

Post by Sintra » Sat October 8th, 2011, 7:40 pm

I am ordering a copy as soon as possible (i'm currently in the middle of Devil's Brood - i postponed the pleasure of reading it till Lionheart comes out).

I just wanted to ask if there's John (the Prince John one) in this. I looove John but reviews don't mention him, so i was wondering :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sat October 8th, 2011, 9:19 pm

[quote=""Sintra""]I am ordering a copy as soon as possible (i'm currently in the middle of Devil's Brood - i postponed the pleasure of reading it till Lionheart comes out).

I just wanted to ask if there's John (the Prince John one) in this. I looove John but reviews don't mention him, so i was wondering :) [/quote]

Oh he is in there! No worries on that front!

Berengaria and Richard just got into their first tiff and Joanna has found new respect for her. Loving this storyline so far!
Brenna

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun October 9th, 2011, 1:03 am

I was looking at this at Barnes and Noble today. I was in the unfortunate situation of having too many books I wanted to buy and a sick car, but I may break down and buy this on Kindle over the weekend. I'm really eager to see how Penman handles Berengaria, whom I confess to much preferring over her mother-in-law.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun October 9th, 2011, 2:15 am

LOL Misfit glad to know you feel my pain :p :D

I am catching glimpses of the book by what others are writing and now I want it even more! *stamps my foot*.....

Sintra--"I just wanted to ask if there's John (the Prince John one) in this. I looove John...."

I was hoping that SKP would include John(he is such a good baddie in a bad kind of way--if you get my drift :p ). Can't wait till my copy arrives.

Bec :)

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun October 9th, 2011, 6:51 am

The more that I have read of this book, the more that I like it. When I did the eastern Med cruise a few years back, one of the stops we made was at Haifa/Mt. Carmel, and I was instantly taken back there when I read about Richard's march south from Acre. However, I do think that Mt. Carmel is much closer to the sea than how it is placed in the story.

Does anyone know what the modern name/location for Acre is?

And does anyone have any thoughts as to what Arnaldia could be? I'm thinking that it could be along the lines of a hantavirus being the location and all that.

Sintra
Reader

Post by Sintra » Sun October 9th, 2011, 8:31 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Oh he is in there! No worries on that front![/quote]

Oh, that's great news! I will order my copy ASAP, but it will take at least three weeks for me to get it =(
Can't wait!

[quote=""rebecca""]

I was hoping that SKP would include John(he is such a good baddie in a bad kind of way--if you get my drift :p ). Can't wait till my copy arrives.
[/quote]

I totally get your drift :)
I'm actually kind of a John fangirl - i love it how he is so complex and flawed and awesome =)

Return to “Book Buddies”