Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon October 20th, 2008, 4:30 pm

I saw Eagle Eye on Saturday night. Very good film. Not quite what you think it is, which is good. :D

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Mon October 20th, 2008, 4:46 pm

Watched "Doliphins" and "Africa Serengeti" Imax films. I pretty much love any Imax production - educational and top notch filming!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue October 21st, 2008, 4:05 am

Just finished watching "The Snow Angels"...Kate Bekinsdale and Sam Rockwell......Very well done, superb acting, but deals with dysfunctional people and their relationships.....check out the reviews before you decide to watch it......if I go any further about the film it will be a Spoiler comment......

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue October 21st, 2008, 3:48 pm

Just to say I make note of what everyone's been watching and their comments and use it when I'm adding to my Love Film rental list. Very useful folks - thanks! Keep posting them! :D
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed October 22nd, 2008, 4:22 pm

Last night I watched John Carney's 2007 "Once"....a charming story... re invention of a modern day musical...Stars Glen Hansard of The Frames a street musician and Czech musician; a street hawker Marketa Irglova...Great shots of Dublin and good music and interesting character cast....I remember seeing a great favorite of mine back in the early 90's...."The Commitments"...I love Irish Musicals....This such a great film...a must see and I'm going buy a copy if I can chase it one down....Irish soul with Andrew Strong, Glen Hansard, the unknown Andrea Corr and others ....never forget the scene where the Irish Priest plays "A Whiter Shade of Pale" on the Cathedral's Organ....Excuse my rant...Blame on "Once" it reminded of the unique Irish and their passion for Music...."Skip the Light Fandango"....Both films will make you feel good......
Last edited by chuck on Wed October 22nd, 2008, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 1:00 am

I also saw City of Ember over the past weekend. It was good, but seemed to be missing something, perhaps in the casting - I can't put my finger on it though. Too mechanical, not enough magical. Maybe I should read the book for more backstory.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 1:06 am

[quote=""chuck""]The Commitments"...I love Irish Musicals....This such a great film...a must see and I'm going buy a copy if I can chase it one down....Irish soul with Andrew Strong, Glen Hansard, the unknown Andrea Corr and others[/quote]

I've only watched the movie a couple times, but have both Commitments CD's. Excellent soul music - I usually take them on roadtrips. And great housecleaning music too. Dancing and dusting - gotta love it!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 1:31 am

Dare I admit it? I watched Enchanted, which, in my opinion, was an entertaining and delightful send-up of the early Disney films.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 10:20 am

[quote=""donroc""]Dare I admit it? I watched Enchanted, which, in my opinion, was an entertaining and delightful send-up of the early Disney films.[/quote]

Oh "Enchanted" is lovely, saw it in the cinema and really enjoyed it. It sends up the Disney films but in a nice way. :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 11:09 am

[quote=""donroc""]Dare I admit it? I watched Enchanted, which, in my opinion, was an entertaining and delightful send-up of the early Disney films.[/quote]

Oh I loved Enchanted too! I watched it through my film subscription but it's going on my buy to keep list.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”