Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon October 3rd, 2011, 5:02 pm

Got back from a weekend re-enacting at a wonderful music festival and opened facebook this morning to read that the husband of a friend (I knew her well, but not him) died last night of a stroke. He was perfectly healthy, as far as anybody knew.
And he was only 61 the same age as my Jay.
My friend is still in shock, as are we all.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon October 3rd, 2011, 6:19 pm

I'm so sorry! Your friend will certainly be in my prayers!
Brenna

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue October 4th, 2011, 12:49 pm

So sorry to hear that MLE. My husband's recent health scare made us realize that we really need to tidy up our legal affairs. You just never know...

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue October 4th, 2011, 7:59 pm

Very sorry to hear about that MLE. I'll be praying for the family.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue October 4th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Very sorry, MLE. It's such a shock when someone dies so suddenly. One of our friends died of a heart attack and she was only in her 50s. We couldn't believe it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue October 11th, 2011, 3:06 pm

I keep accidentally sleeping on my right hand/wrist and I keep hurting it. I'm going to the doctor today for a medical consult and I'll talk to her about it then.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed October 26th, 2011, 12:53 pm

It's early so the day may get worse, but over the last two weeks, I've had my car at the mechanic shop because it's been having trouble starting in the morning. They've found radiator problems and whatnot, but nothing to explain why my car is struggling to start in the morning. Battery is fine. Alternator, spark plugs, ignition switch, starter, all fine. So the last three mornings, same problem. The car would eventually start but it really struggled. This morning, nothing. Wouldn't start. Couldn't start. Luckily my husband was home so he could give the battery a good jump. Took 5 minutes, but it started. I got to work and called the mechanic. They said they need to see it "cold" in order to properly assess what is wrong with the car. Well we are getting ready to leave on vacation, so they will have a whole freaking week to play with it.

Problem? I have a doctor's appointment at 7am tomorrow morning and no one else will be home to help. Ticked off and working up to a steaming mad just because I'm completely frustrated!
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed October 26th, 2011, 2:40 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Ticked off and working up to a steaming mad just because I'm completely frustrated![/quote]

So sorry to hear of your car problems, Brenna. Cars seem to be built with Murphy's Law hardwired. I grew up in the wilds of Ohio and we had to have a car. I never felt so free in life as when we moved to a city and I sold my car. No more dead batteries on the morning I had to carpool the kids. No more engine failure on the way to the airport for vacation. No more flat tires on a back country road, after dark, in the age before cell phones. (All of which happened to me.) Buses and subways aren't perfect, but they sure beat cars.

Of course, I realize, the whole world can't (and wouldn't want to) live in cities and not all cities have great public transportation. I'm just saying, I totally understand your frustration.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed October 26th, 2011, 4:45 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]So sorry to hear of your car problems, Brenna. Cars seem to be built with Murphy's Law hardwired. I grew up in the wilds of Ohio and we had to have a car. I never felt so free in life as when we moved to a city and I sold my car. No more dead batteries on the morning I had to carpool the kids. No more engine failure on the way to the airport for vacation. No more flat tires on a back country road, after dark, in the age before cell phones. (All of which happened to me.) Buses and subways aren't perfect, but they sure beat cars.

Of course, I realize, the whole world can't (and wouldn't want to) live in cities and not all cities have great public transportation. I'm just saying, I totally understand your frustration.[/quote]

I'm looking forward to the day when I can move to a city with decent public transportation (hopefully, once my daughter finishes college and I no longer have to take the difference between in- and out-of-state tuition into account). No more car payments, no more insurance payments . . .
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun October 30th, 2011, 9:41 pm

Birthday meltdowns are the worst kind. Especially when the birthday boy is having the meltdown. I wish I could say it was too much excitement but we're very low key about birthdays.

Return to “Chat”