Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2012 edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun September 18th, 2011, 5:32 am

The Sister Queens by Sophe Perinot. US and UK release March 6, 2012.

A definate buy.

Alix and Nicky by Virginia Rounding. Non-fiction.

I still have my Massie book on Nicky and Alex which I bought in my 20's. :D

That Woman: The Duchess of Windsor and the Scandal that Brought Down a King by Anna Sebba

Katherine by Alison Weir. UK release March 29, 2012.

The Lion at Bay by Robert Low. UK release April 2012.

The Maid and the Queen by Nancy Goldstone.

Jezebel by Eleanor de Jong

I have already ordered 'That Woman' from Amazon UK and hopefully it will arrive next week sometime. I will definately buy Robert Low as I have the first book but I never read trilogies untill all have been released(so that book will sit on the back burner).
The Maid and the Queen interests me....
Jezebel I shall buy once it is released

Katherine sounds interesting but though I loved 'Innocent Traitor' by Weir, I did not like Captive Queen.

I have also been trying to find out when Robyn Young's second book in the 'Insurrection' series will be published? There is no word anywhere, not even on her site! I wish the author would update her website and let readers know. But good news I have tons on my TBR list already :D

Bec

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun September 18th, 2011, 5:46 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]
Katherine by Alison Weir. UK release March 29, 2012.

[/quote]

I can't find a listing for this one, except for the nonfiction she wrote about Katherine Swynford. Is this a novel or that book? Can someone provide a link?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun September 18th, 2011, 5:55 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I can't find a listing for this one, except for the nonfiction she wrote about Katherine Swynford. Is this a novel or that book? Can someone provide a link?

SM[/quote]

It's mentioned on her website. It's a novel about Katherine Grey, and Richard III's illegitimate daughter, another Katherine, also plays a role. It's called A Dangerous Inheritance there.

http://www.alisonweir.org.uk/
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun September 18th, 2011, 5:57 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]It's mentioned on her website. It's a novel about Katherine Grey, and Richard III's illegitimate daughter, another Katherine, also plays a role. It's called A Dangerous Inheritance there.

http://www.alisonweir.org.uk/[/quote]

Ah ok, I was getting confused, I saw the book about Katherine Grey mentioned. I thought it was a novel about Sywnford that I wasn't finding, LOL! Thanks for the help!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun September 18th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Wier has a non-fic book about Mary Boleyn out next month and one called Dangerous Inheritance marked for release March 2012.

From her website:
Alison has now completed her fourth novel, A DANGEROUS INHERITANCE, the sequel to INNOCENT TRAITOR, which tells the story of Lady Katherine Grey. More than just a historical tale, this is a thriller about one of history's most controversial mysteries, approached from a new angle in an intriguing sub-plot, with a chilling supernatural thread!

Not too sure about this supernatural angle- sounds a bit PG to me!

Edit: Looks as if the mystery is about the Princes in the Tower. There's further detail about the plotline here (Keep scrolling down):
http://alisonweir.org.uk/news/index.asp
Last edited by annis on Sun September 18th, 2011, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue September 20th, 2011, 1:08 am

I went to the Amazon site and also got confused with the 'Katherine' book. Thanks for clearing it up BB :) .

I really did enjoy 'Innocent Traitor' but am concerned with the supernatural element so I'm with Annis on that one. I hope its not too OTT.

Still can find no info on Robyn Young's Insurrection series :confused: oh well, just have to be patient I guess.

Bec :)

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed September 21st, 2011, 10:03 pm

Mr. and Mrs. Madison’s War by Hugh Howard. Non-fiction. US and UK release January 17, 2012.

August 28, 1814. Dressed in black, James Madison mourns the nation's loss. Smoke rises from the ruin of the Capitol before him; a mile away stands the blackened shell of the White House. The British have laid waste to Washington City, and as Mr. Madison gazes at the terrible vista, he ponders the future-his country's defeat or victory-in a war he began over the unanimous objections of his political adversaries. As we approach its bicentennial, the War of 1812 remains the least understood of America's wars. To some it was a conflict that resolved nothing, but to others, it was our second war of independence, settling once and for all that America would never again submit to Britain. At its center was James Madison-our most meditative of presidents, yet the first one to declare war. And at his side was the extraordinary Dolley, who defined the role of first lady for all to follow, and who would prove perhaps her husband's most indispensable ally.

In this powerful new work, drawing on countless primary sources, acclaimed historian Hugh Howard presents a gripping account of the conflict as James and Dolley Madison experienced it. Mr. and Mrs. Madison's War rediscovers a conflict fought on land and sea-from the shores of the Potomac to the Great Lakes-that proved to be a critical turning point in American history.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed September 21st, 2011, 10:05 pm

The Needle in the Blood by Sarah Bower. US release March 1, 2012 (previously released in the UK in 2007).

January 1067. When Odo of Bayeux decides to commission a wall hanging to celebrate his role in the conquest of Britain by his brother, William, Duke of Normandy, he cannot anticipate how this will change his life even more than the invasion itself. As his life becomes entangled with those of the women who embroider the hanging, he comes into conflict with his king and his God. Friends and family become enemies, enemies become lovers, nothing in life or in the hanging is what it seems.

A powerful tale of sex, lies and embroidery, The Needle in the Blood, challenges the stereotypes of Norman and Anglo Saxon, exploring the effects of occupation on both sides and all classes of society. It also examines how women can make lives for themselves in the margins of patriarchal societies. Its characters are brought together through the making of the Bayeux Tapestry, one of the best known, yet most enigmatic, of mediaeval artifacts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed September 21st, 2011, 10:06 pm

The Winter King by Thomas Penn. Non-fiction. US release March 6, 2012 (will be released in the UK September 29, 2011).

It was 1501. England had been ravaged for decades by conspiracy, violence, murders, coups and counter-coups. Henry VII had clambered to the top of the heap - a fugitive with a flimsy claim to England's crown who through luck, guile and ruthlessness had managed to win the throne and stay on it for sixteen years. Although he built palaces, hosted jousts, gave out lavish presents and sent ambassadors across Europe, for many he remained a usurper, a false king.

But Henry had a crucial asset: his queen and their children, the living embodiment of his hoped-for dynasty. Now, in what would be the crowning glory of his reign, his elder son would marry a great Spanish princess. On a cold November day this girl, the sixteen-year-old Catherine of Aragon, arrived in London for a wedding upon which the fate of England would hinge...

In his remarkable debut, historian Thomas Penn recreates an England which is both familiar and very strange - a country that seems medieval yet modern, in which honour and chivalry mingle with espionage, realpolitik, high finance and corruption. It is the story of the transformation of a young, vulnerable boy, Prince Henry, into the aggressive teenager who would become Henry VIII, and of Catherine of Aragon, his future queen. And at its heart is the tragic, magnetic figure of Henry VII - controlling, paranoid, avaricious, with a Machiavellian charm and will to power.

Rich with incident and drama, filled with wonderfully drawn characters, Winter King is an unforgettable history of pageantry, surveillance, the thirst for glory - and the fraught, unstable birth of Tudor England.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed September 21st, 2011, 10:08 pm

The Dark Monk by Oliver Potzsch. US and UK release May 8, 2012

1648: a small village in the Alps. In the thick of a blizzard, a town priest discovers he's been poisoned. As numbness creeps up his body, he summons the last of his strength, scratching a sign in the frost that will lead the town hangman, his daughter, the physician, and the priest’s feisty recently arrived sister on a scavenger hunt for the treasure of the Knights Templars. But the priest's murderer is already on their trail, and he’s not the only one after the legendary fortune: a dark monk is not far behind, and a band of thieves is roving the countryside, attacking solitary travelers and spreading panic. The race is on, and the stakes are high. Recalling The Name of the Rose and The Da Vinci Code, The Dark Monk takes readers on a whirlwind tour through the occult hiding places of Bavaria’s ancient monasteries.

Return to “General Discussion”