Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"The Wild Rose" by Jennifer Donnelly

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
oldhousejunkie
Scribbler

"The Wild Rose" by Jennifer Donnelly

Post by oldhousejunkie » Thu August 25th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Anyone else reading this?

As a religious devotee to this series, I have been breathlessly waiting for this for years! I think the wait has soured it, unfortunately, as I'm not devouring this one as quickly as I have the previous installments. I'm having issues connecting the characters for some reason, but I'm in the early stages yet!
I blog about all things writing and historical at Caroline Wilson Writes!

I'm also on Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads!

Now Available: "Rebel Heart," a romantic historical fiction set in Civil War America and Victorian England.

Available at Amazon

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 25th, 2011, 10:04 pm

I had a copy from Net Galley a couple of months ago. I definitely had some issues, particularly Willa's constant pity party over her injury.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

oldhousejunkie
Scribbler

Post by oldhousejunkie » Fri August 26th, 2011, 1:32 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I had a copy from Net Galley a couple of months ago. I definitely had some issues, particularly Willa's constant pity party over her injury.[/quote]

I'm so jealous that you get early releases! :D

Now Available: "Rebel Heart," a romantic historical fiction set in Civil War America and Victorian England.

Available at Amazon

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 26th, 2011, 2:18 pm

[quote=""oldhousejunkie""]I'm so jealous that you get early releases! :D [/quote]

Net Galley is pretty easy to sign up for. I have friends that pretty much just review at Goodreads (no blog, etc.) and they're getting early books from them.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri August 26th, 2011, 2:51 pm

I have never heard of net galley. Is it just with good reads?

I have to be honest and say I never liked this series from day one. I struggled with the first book, gave up on the second and frankly I'm glad its over. She can put the nail in the coffin with this series and she can finally focus on something else, which is what I want.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 26th, 2011, 3:03 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I have never heard of net galley. Is it just with good reads?

I have to be honest and say I never liked this series from day one. I struggled with the first book, gave up on the second and frankly I'm glad its over. She can put the nail in the coffin with this series and she can finally focus on something else, which is what I want.[/quote]

At the rist of going OT and having to moderate myself ;) , net galley has nothing to do with Goodreads, it's just that so many of my GR friends are signing up I see it mentioned in my feeds there all the time.

Just go to netgalley.com and sign up. Look at the catalog and see if anything interests you.

oldhousejunkie
Scribbler

Post by oldhousejunkie » Mon August 29th, 2011, 4:21 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I have never heard of net galley. Is it just with good reads?

I have to be honest and say I never liked this series from day one. I struggled with the first book, gave up on the second and frankly I'm glad its over. She can put the nail in the coffin with this series and she can finally focus on something else, which is what I want.[/quote]

Wow--that's harsh! I adored "The Tea Rose." I read it in 24 hours actually--in the middle of college exams no less! I will admit that "The Winter Rose" didn't grab me as much and I fear that "The Wild Rose" is trending that way as well.

Maybe this is a cautionary tale about sequels? :rolleyes:

I will say that I remember "The Tea Rose" being a very "graceful" read. I loved the writing style. But I have noticed that "The Wild Rose" seems a bit bland on the writing style.

Available at Amazon

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon August 29th, 2011, 5:02 pm

A lot of people liked it, or else she wouldn't keep writing books about the family. :)

Frankly I think A Northern light was her best book ever. Wish she'd focus on YA stuff. The last one was a time slip novel(gag) so I didnt read it.

I look forward to seeing what she does next.
Last edited by Divia on Mon August 29th, 2011, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

oldhousejunkie
Scribbler

Post by oldhousejunkie » Mon August 29th, 2011, 8:05 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I look forward to seeing what she does next.[/quote]

I can definitely agree with you on that one!

I enjoyed A Northern Light as well. I haven't read Revolution yet, but I have been meaning to. I don't mind the time slip thing so much.

I love time travel (I wish someone would invent it already!) have been since reading Jack Finney's Time and Again. One of the books I started writing in high school focused on a teenaged girl traveling back to NYC during the Gilded Age. I really need to dig that one out....

Available at Amazon

Return to “Book Buddies”