Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

To our members on the East coast...

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon August 29th, 2011, 4:06 pm

[quote=""Divia""]the media was hyping this I thought hundreds would be dead and you'd see bodies floating in th water like during Katrina.[/quote]

I never thought that, but many places inland by rivers and streams are terribly flooded. Trees are down on roads along with power lines and many people have no power. We just heard from some friends in a neighboring town who have no power and cannot get out of their neighborhood because there are too many trees down. There is no estimate as to when their situation will be resolved.

I was just reading a discussion on the website of the Star Ledger, New Jersey's largest newspaper, asking if the storm was overhyped and the overall response is "No."
Your reaction: Was Hurricane Irene overhyped?
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 29th, 2011, 4:08 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]So my work got flooded and is without power. I guess I will just have to stay home and enjoy the 72 degree sunshiny weather. Poor me.[/quote]

Oh, what a shame. Hope things get better soon ;) :p :)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon August 29th, 2011, 4:56 pm

[quote=""Susan""]I was just reading a discussion on the website of the Star Ledger, New Jersey's largest newspaper, asking if the storm was overhyped and the overall response is "No."
Your reaction: Was Hurricane Irene overhyped?[/quote]

It's really a hell if you do, hell if you don't situation for the media and government agencies involved in disaster preparation. The people who complain about it being overhyped are probably those who would have complained about not enough being done had the situation turned more disastrously upon themselves.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon August 29th, 2011, 5:13 pm

This video is funny, but it also shows just how bad the flooding is. Someone is riding a jet ski through the streets of Newark, New Jersey's largest city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS43shslplI&sns=fb
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon August 29th, 2011, 5:52 pm

I'm just glad everyone from the forum who was affected is safe and sound!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon August 29th, 2011, 6:03 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]So my work got flooded and is without power. I guess I will just have to stay home and enjoy the 72 degree sunshiny weather. Poor me.[/quote]

Brenna that is terrible, I hope you have a towering TBR pile to console you ;)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 29th, 2011, 6:05 pm

[quote=""Susan""]This video is funny, but it also shows just how bad the flooding is. Someone is riding a jet ski through the streets of Newark, New Jersey's largest city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS43shslplI&sns=fb[/quote]

I can't hunt it down now (Youtube is a no-no at work), but there's a video of a small creek that carried away a bunch of cars during Australia's floods this year that is really something to see. Amazing how fast water can rise and what damage it can do.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon August 29th, 2011, 10:47 pm

oh today was so difficult. I took three walks with Padfoot, picked up my veggies from the CSA, went to the grocery store, cleaned the house, and relaxed on my back deck. The pain of it all. :D
Brenna

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue August 30th, 2011, 1:30 am

Virginia has had the second worst power failure in history, and as of 5:00 today a lot of people I know were still out of power, as well as something like half the traffic signals in the city (maybe more). A major stretch of historical properties and nice local retail was almost entirely blacked out yesterday, but people were still out, strolling and soaking up sunshine.

I lost power for only six hours, spent Saturday night reading Le Fanu's Carmilla, and woke up to lamps-on at two a.m.

My prayers are with you, Brenna, in this your darkest hour! Hee.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue August 30th, 2011, 2:35 am

And to think that most of the people we read (and write) about lived their whole lives without electricity. However did they survive?

Return to “Chat”