Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2012 edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
anne whitfield
Reader

Post by anne whitfield » Wed August 10th, 2011, 5:15 am

I don't mind the headless covers either. Sometimes the face can be nothing like what I imagined the character to be like, so I'd rather not have it. LOL

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed August 10th, 2011, 5:57 am

[quote=""Mythica""]I actually really like the headless chick trend - as you can see I followed it in my avatar. I think it gives a bit of mystery to what the character looks like so the reader can still use their imagination. I don't mind using other methods to hide the face (like facing the model away from the camera) - it doesn't have to be by simply cropping out the head but I like it to be at least mostly hidden somehow.

[/quote]

I agree. I like the headless chicks. Besides its easy to spot a book on the shelves. I know that its HF.

The waist down cover looks weird.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed August 10th, 2011, 6:41 am

Just noticed that Christian Cameron (how does the man manage to turn out such a volume of books for goodness sake? And well-written ones, too) has a novel due out January 2012 about Alexander the Great, called The God of War. It must be an epic- it's apparently planned as a standalone rather than the first in a series. Like the cover, which is clearly based on the famous Alexander mosaic found in the House of the Faun at Pompeii.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Wed August 10th, 2011, 8:33 am

[quote=""annis""]Just noticed that Christian Cameron (how does the man manage to turn out such a volume of books for goodness sake? And well-written ones, too) has a novel due out January 2012 about Alexander the Great, called The God of War. It must be an epic- it's apparently planned as a standalone rather than the first in a series. Like the cover, which is clearly based on the famous Alexander mosaic found in the House of the Faun at Pompeii.[/quote]

I love CC's books. 800 pages lol he must be feeling lazy :D
*adds to wishlist
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri August 19th, 2011, 2:25 am

The King's Concubine: A Novel of Alice Perrers by Anne O'Brien (Jun 5, 2012)

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu August 25th, 2011, 10:44 pm

The Queen and the Courtesan by Freda Lightfoot. US and UK release January 1, 2012 (reposted with cover)

A brand-new historical novel from a well-loved storyteller - Henriette d’Entragues isn’t satisfied with simply being the mistress of Henry IV of France; she wants a crown too. Despite his promises to marry her, the King is obliged by political necessity to ally himself with a rich Italian princess. But Henriette isn’t one for giving up easily. All she has to do to achieve her ambition is to give Henry a son, and then do whatever it takes to set him on the throne . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu August 25th, 2011, 10:46 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]The Price by Peter Ransley. UK release April 2012 (second in trilogy, the first book is Plague Child).

It is 1647. The King has surrendered to Parliament. Lord Stonehouse, to show his loyalty to Parliament, has named Tom as his successor. But Lord Stonehouse’s son, Richard, is also Tom’s estranged father and a fervent Royalist. If the King reaches a settlement with Parliament Richard will inherit…

Parliament itself is deeply divided with those demanding a strict Puritan regime pitted against more liberal Independents like Cromwell. King Charles, under house arrest, tries to exploit the divisions between them. When Richard arrives from France with a commission from the Queen to snatch the King from Parliamentary hands, he and Tom are set on a collision course. Caught between his love for his wife Anne and their young son, and his loyalty to the new regime, Tom must struggle to save both his family and the estate.

The Price is the dramatic story of Tom Neave’s fight for the principles which he holds so dear – democracy, freedom and honour – and his young family, set against the backdrop of the violent conflict of the English Civil War.[/quote]

It looks like this originally had the wrong title listed as Ransley's "The Price" was published sometime ago. It is now showing the title "Cromwell's Blessing" and the attached cover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu August 25th, 2011, 10:50 pm

The Queen's Secret by Victoria Lamb. UK release March 15, 2012.

July 1575

Elizabeth I, Queen of England, arrives at Kenilworth Castle amid pomp, fanfare and a wealth of lavish festivities, laid on by the Earl of Leicester. The hopeful Earl knows this is his very last chance to persuade the Queen to marry him.

But despite his attachment to the Queen and his driving ambition to be her King, Leicester is unable to resist the seductive wiles of Lettice, wife of the Earl of Essex. And soon whispers of their relationship start spreading through the court.

Enraged by the adulterous lovers growing intimacy, Elizabeth employs Lucy Morgan, a young black singer and court entertainer, to spy on the couple. But Lucy, who was raised by a spy in London, uncovers far more than she bargains for.

For among the court entertainers, a plot has been hatched to kill the Queen – and only Lucy has the power to prevent it...

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu August 25th, 2011, 10:50 pm

The Leopard Sword (Empire IV) by Anthony Riches. UK release April 26, 2012.

Britannia has been subdued - and the murderous Roman agents who nearly captured Marcus Valerius Aquila, alias Corvus, have been defeated by his friends. But in order to protect those very friends from the wrath of the emperor, Marcus must leave the province which has been giving him shelter. He travels to the Tungrian auxiliary legion's headquarters in northern Gaul where a different kind of war and very different dangers await him.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu August 25th, 2011, 10:52 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Prophecy: Death of an Empire by M.K. Hume. UK release January 5, 2012.

Merlin's epic quest continues as he journeys to Constantinople in search of his father.

Myrddion Emrys of Segontium is the product of a brutal rape, but when King Vortigern hints at his father's identity, Myrddion embarks on a journey across France and Italy to Constantinople. It is a voyage that is to turn the young healer into a man of great renown. Serving under General Flavius Aetius at the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains, Myrddion saves the lives of thousands of warriors and, on his arrival in Rome, he heals many more, including Cleoxenes, Envoy to Emperor Theodosius of the East, on his way to a delegation with Attila the Hun. But a deadlier conflict between Emperor Valentinian of the West and Senator Petronius Maximus is still to come and Myrddion must use all his strength to carry out his work in a world that is evil.[/quote]

cover attached

Return to “General Discussion”