Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Scottish Prisoner: A Novel (Lord John)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

The Scottish Prisoner: A Novel (Lord John)

Post by Misfit » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 7:15 pm

Hmmm. I've not yet tried any of the LJ novels but thought I'd mention here.
London, 1760. For Jamie Fraser, paroled prisoner-of-war in the remote Lake District, life could be worse: He’s not cutting sugar cane in the West Indies, and he’s close enough to the son he cannot claim as his own. But Jamie Fraser’s quiet existence is coming apart at the seams, interrupted first by dreams of his lost wife, then by the appearance of Tobias Quinn, an erstwhile comrade from the Rising.

Like many of the Jacobites who aren’t dead or in prison, Quinn still lives and breathes for the Cause. His latest plan involves an ancient relic that will rally the Irish. Jamie is having none of it—he’s sworn off politics, fighting, and war. Until Lord John Grey shows up with a summons that will take him away from everything he loves—again.

Lord John Grey—aristocrat, soldier, and occasional spy—finds himself in possession of a packet of explosive documents that exposes a damning case of corruption against a British officer. But they also hint at a more insidious danger. Time is of the essence as the investigation leads to Ireland, with a baffling message left in “Erse,” the tongue favored by Scottish Highlanders. Lord John, who oversaw Jacobite prisoners when he was governor of Ardsmiur prison, thinks Jamie may be able to translate—but will he agree to do it?

Soon Lord John and Jamie are unwilling companions on the road to Ireland, a country whose dark castles hold dreadful secrets, and whose bogs hide the bones of the dead. A captivating return to the world Diana Gabaldon created in her Outlander and Lord John series, The Scottish Prisoner is another masterpiece of epic history, wicked deceit, and scores that can only be settled in blood.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed August 24th, 2011, 11:51 am

Saw this on Amazon the other day, thanks for the tip, sounds good.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed August 24th, 2011, 12:54 pm

Sounds something to look out for!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed August 24th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Is this the most recent Lord John book? I'll eventually read the Lord John Grey books, but since I read all the Outlander books earlier this year, I felt I needed a break from the characters.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 25th, 2011, 1:30 am

[quote=""Susan""]Is this the most recent Lord John book? I'll eventually read the Lord John Grey books, but since I read all the Outlander books earlier this year, I felt I needed a break from the characters.[/quote]

I am guessing so, but I haven't paid too much attention to them.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu August 25th, 2011, 2:45 am

SP is the latest in DG's Lord John series- due out round November, I think. I've quite enjoyed them - the gay angle gives a look at 18th century society from a different perspective.

Return to “Diana Gabaldon”