Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Eagle

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon August 15th, 2011, 1:29 pm

Okay I just saw this movie over the weekend. Did anyone else see it? If so, what do you think?

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon August 15th, 2011, 6:06 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]Okay I just saw this movie over the weekend. Did anyone else see it? If so, what do you think?[/quote]

I saw it this weekend and thought it was just ok. I would probably give it 3 stars and that would be generous. I wasn't a fan of the book, so I wasn't surprised that I didn't like the movie much.
Brenna

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon August 15th, 2011, 6:23 pm

It's gone to DVD pretty quickly which isn't a good sign . We're still waiting in New Zealand for it to hit the movie screens. It's due out here in DVD round December, so might see it first that way! I'm a fan of Rosemary Sutcliff's work, but I was always nervous about the movie ever since I saw that Channing Tatum was taking the lead role :)

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon August 15th, 2011, 7:18 pm

I had to apologise to the people I saw it with as it had been my choice. We all thought it was fairly dreadful.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun March 11th, 2012, 5:21 pm

[quote=""annis""]It's gone to DVD pretty quickly which isn't a good sign . We're still waiting in New Zealand for it to hit the movie screens. It's due out here in DVD round December, so might see it first that way! I'm a fan of Rosemary Sutcliff's work, but I was always nervous about the movie ever since I saw that Channing Tatum was taking the lead role :) [/quote]

you might be better off giving it a skip even if in makes it to NZ, Annis. You've already identified the main problem, the tatum channing or whatever his name is. He has all the charisma of a block of wood and the acting ability of, well, a male model/stripper trying to be an actor. I'm sure he will have his defenders since he is good looking but an actor who must carry a film should have more than that.

Interestingly for me, this means the earlier "Centurion" was the better film covering the same subject manner, even if it wasn't that good to start with.
Last edited by Kveto from Prague on Sun March 11th, 2012, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri June 22nd, 2012, 10:02 am

Well, I finally got to watch this - in fact it's only quite recently come out here in DVD and never did show in any movie theatres in NZ that I know of.

What can I say? Oh. My. God. Just awful...

erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Fri June 22nd, 2012, 4:56 pm

Sending sympathetic thoughts your way, Annis. ;) Didn't like the look of what they were doing when the filming was going on, liked it even less when I read about the final result. I'm never going to watch this. Some TV screen, somewhere, would no doubt suffer from my throwing a large, heavy object at it, and that would be unkind. :p

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat June 23rd, 2012, 3:09 am

This movie would possibly be fine if all you wanted was an atmospheric (they got that right) Roman-British version of Die Hard, with swords, (though the acting is still atrocious) but as an adaptation of Rosemary Sutcliff's Eagle of the Ninth it's an absolute travesty :( Urk! Only plus is that the publicity about it may have encouraged more readers to give Sutcliff's novels a try.
Last edited by annis on Sat June 23rd, 2012, 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”