Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

To Our Forum Members in London

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue August 9th, 2011, 5:44 pm

Wow, how awful, I'm glad members that have reported are safe!

Why are there riots? I can't really find what sparked it, except some thug being killed by police. Or was it something else?

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Tue August 9th, 2011, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue August 9th, 2011, 5:44 pm

i live in one of the boroughs affected but on the other side and I didn't even know it was happening until I saw it on the news.

It is very distressing for those living in the midst of the activity but as soon as you move a little way off, life is strangely normal. Loads of police on the streets on the way home tonight though and that might very well do the trick. I notice because I travel right across across London from work to home. Both the politicians and the police are coming in for a lot of criticism and, of course, we have the usual media frenzy (here, any way).

It seems most of the activity is outside London tonight -- at the moment, anyway.

Everyone seems to be blaiming Blackberry IM for spreading the word.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue August 9th, 2011, 6:16 pm

My daughter just called me on Skype to show me the fire/smoke she can see from her window. She said there are now police officers on campus and the students aren't allowed to leave their residence hall. I told my husband she's probably safer there than anywhere for now.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Tue August 9th, 2011, 6:55 pm

I hope things calm down. It sounds terrible. I'm glad the school is taking care of your daughter, Tanzanite. That is frightening. To the rest in London, I wish you well and hope you and your loved ones stay safe.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue August 9th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Thanks for all your good wishes on here everyone. Sorry your daughter had such nasty experiences here Tanzanite, hope she stays safe.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue August 9th, 2011, 7:39 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Why are there riots? I can't really find what sparked it, except some thug being killed by police. Or was it something else? [/quote]

There is a lot of speculation at the moment as to the causes. The inciting incident was the shooting of Mark Duggan by police, but the main motive of the rioters seems to be theft rather than protest. Some people, such as Ken Livingstone, the former Mayor of London, are saying that it's a response to the economic crisis, lack of jobs, cuts to social services, etc. Others are saying it's mindless violence and opportunism by career criminals. Over 500 arrests have been made and it's definitely not all teenagers, although it seems the majority are under 30. Also, a lot of them don't live in the areas being attacked.

[quote=""Tanzanite""]My daughter just called me on Skype to show me the fire/smoke she can see from her window. She said there are now police officers on campus and the students aren't allowed to leave their residence hall. I told my husband she's probably safer there than anywhere for now.[/quote]

Glad to hear she is safe for the moment, Tanzanite, and I hope she will have no problems getting away tomorrow. I am relieved that all my own courses have finished and my overseas students have already left. It would be very difficult to advise them in these circumstances.
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Tue August 9th, 2011, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 9th, 2011, 7:50 pm

I just found this. Hope that link works.
Some of the rioters have laughed off claims that the unrest was sparked by any one grievance. One man who identified himself only as "Zed" said the riots were "just an excuse for everyone to smash up the place" and that stuff "tastes better when it's free."
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue August 9th, 2011, 8:06 pm

It's strange really. I have been receiving telephone calls from family members who live in other European countries concerned about the news reports they are receiving there and assuming that I am in the middle of it because of where I live and I am more worried about my family members who are in other parts of the UK now bearing the brunt of the madness than I ever was for myself here in London (which I haven't been at all)
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue August 9th, 2011, 8:16 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]It's too bad since she had hoped to go do and see a lot of stuff this week (her classes were done last week) but she had a nasty incident on the tube yesterday and was a little shaken up by it so I think she just wants to come home. Thankfully it didn't cost us a fortune to change her flight at the last minute.[/quote]

I'm glad your daughter is getting home early. Mine is supposed to go to England for a semester this coming Monday and I'm hoping things have calmed down. She's been anxiously following all the coverage. Her school is out in the country, so I'm hoping she'll get to avoid any nastiness.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue August 9th, 2011, 9:55 pm

I first heard about this Sunday watching the 10 pm local news. I do hope things calm down.

Return to “Chat”