Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

To Our Forum Members in London

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

To Our Forum Members in London

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue August 9th, 2011, 4:45 am

Hope you all are OK! The photographs I'm seeing from over there are frightening.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue August 9th, 2011, 8:49 am

Ok so far although the local shopping centre was barricaded yesterday.

They need to bring in the army and turn water cannon on them.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue August 9th, 2011, 8:59 am

All fine here, thanks. It's so bizarre - unless you're in one of those pockets where riots have been happening, you'd never know anything untoward was going on. So far, I've been unaffected. Let's hope it doesn't spread....

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue August 9th, 2011, 9:36 am

It's spreading to other cities now, so I hope it doesn't spread to York where my daughter goes most days to meet her friends.

I think it's disgraceful. What scumbags!! The army should definitely be brought in. I'd have them all shot at dawn! Idiots.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue August 9th, 2011, 11:23 am

Thank you BB. A couple of days ago I was reading about Madame Tussaud waiting to know if family members caught up in the Paris riots were safe, now I know exactly how she felt. Brother had to work an evening shift in central London last night and get home through affected areas. Fortunately he arrived safely home at 1am this morning. Everything is quiet so far here but who knows what tonight will bring.

Like many people I don't feel the government is doing nearly enough to take charge of the situation, but that's really something for the political rants thread so I'll say no more!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 9th, 2011, 12:55 pm

Granted, I don't usually watch the nightly news, but this has just barely started getting any media coverage here. I couldn't find much even on cnn.com yesterday afternoon, but there's more now.

I saw Tanzanite mention on FB that her daughter is there at the moment and hoping to get her out early.

Glad to hear from the rest of you though and that things are OK.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue August 9th, 2011, 1:35 pm

From the way they are portraying the situation in the media, it looks like the Great London Fire all over again. I suspected it wasn't as far spread as we are led to believe, but it is unsettling, nonetheless. Glad you all are ok; hope things settle down quickly.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue August 9th, 2011, 4:53 pm

My thoughts are with all of our London, and other cities that are affected, members.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue August 9th, 2011, 5:18 pm

I was going to go into town today but decided to give it a miss. I did go to the local library which was closing early and then stopped at a grocery for an ice cream. The lady running it said she was very worried about tonight and I don't blame her, because if there is any trouble it will be the small businesses which are targeted. She told me a car had been set on fire close by last night and the road where it was is still closed. (I thought I smelled some smoke when I went out shopping last night). But other than the library closing early it just seemed like a typical suburban sunny afternoon - except that there were a lot more police about than usual. It's nothing unusual to see police patrolling but usually just two at time - I saw three pairs of policemen and women in a 20 minute walk, plus one police car. Home now and not going out again tonight.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue August 9th, 2011, 5:35 pm

I was able to get my daughter on a flight tomorrow morning (she was scheduled to come home on Sunday). Her school is about 4 miles from the place where the Sony warehouse that was burned and although she felt fairly safe at the school itself, nothing around was open and the school advised them not to go out. She had spent the weekend in Dublin and when they got back they had no idea what was going on. She had no food at school, no real way to get any and apparently today, the school shut down the cafeteria. Most of the other students were getting flights out earlier as well and she didn't really want to stay there by herself.

It's too bad since she had hoped to go do and see a lot of stuff this week (her classes were done last week) but she had a nasty incident on the tube yesterday and was a little shaken up by it so I think she just wants to come home. Thankfully it didn't cost us a fortune to change her flight at the last minute.

Return to “Chat”