Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Scatterbrain needs help!

Perdita
Reader

Scatterbrain needs help!

Post by Perdita » Sun August 7th, 2011, 10:02 pm

I saw a novel in Waterstones about a month ago which looked really good but I've forgotten what it was called and who wrote it. :rolleyes:
It was set in Renaissance Italy and was narrated by Machiavelli, Da Vinci and (I think) someone from the Borgia family.
I know it's a long shot due to lack of detail but has anyone heard of this book? Any ideas or clues much appreciated.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun August 7th, 2011, 11:16 pm

perhaps you saw Paul Strathern's the Artist, the Philosopher, and the Warrior? If isn't a novel, but a triple biography. It caught my eye too, so I put it on my wish list.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun August 7th, 2011, 11:20 pm

Just checked for novels and it's likely the Ground is Burning by Samuel Black. Not available on this side of the pond, as you can see from the Amazon link.

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Mon August 8th, 2011, 9:40 am

That's exactly the one, The Ground is Burning. Thank you so much MLE, you're a star! I was asking the shop assistants and they had no idea what I was talking about. Thanks again!

Return to “Tudor/Renaissance”