Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri August 5th, 2011, 1:23 pm

I think Ash is way ahead of me
Well, I read the first three back last summer, so I didn't have much to read this summer except for Crows, then the new one. So its not so much im ahead of you, as I have finished the race, going the second lap, and Im behind you :)
But hopefully Ser Jamie and his sister Cersei will at some stage have their comuppance
Yes and yes. sorta spoiler: The first in book three (tho not so much as a comuppance as a realization and character change), the latter in book five, thats so good you are smiling through it all. But then at the end, you actually feel a little guilty about it....

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri August 5th, 2011, 3:32 pm

I'm more than halfway through book 3 and also Bec, still no resolution to the Jon story. Things are really starting to pick up though. You will learn alot more about Jaime and it leaves you scratching your head because what you thought you knew isn't so true anymore.

I can't believe I have to wait until book 5 to know who Jon's mother is. Is she important? Can we at least know that? I'm not buying book 5 until it comes out in paperback, so I have some time. I really want to the whole Bran and the youngest boy (totally forgot his name as I was typing) to come to a head already.

I also want to know how Sansa marrying Tryion plays out. Weird combination.
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri August 5th, 2011, 5:27 pm

Joining the discussion a bit late...finished the first book in June and have the second on hold at the library...but have been enjoying the thread. The discussion about a series dragging out is spot on. I've dropped a couple of series after the first 3-4 books, because the author seemed to be repeating her/himself or just milking it. (Jean Auel's Children of Earth series, anyone? ;) )
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri August 5th, 2011, 7:26 pm

I just came from GR where I was doing a little exploring. Some of the groups and their discussions are very interesting and I love following along. I have to say though, I was reading some of the discussions over at the Song of Fire and Ice discussion board and oh my goodness. I found some of their poster's behavior down right appalling. I had to say something about it because grown people should just not act that way, especially on a site that is meant for adults (or young adults) to have meaningful discussions about books! My goodness gracious I am super excited to have found this forum and all of you amazing people!! Just had to say!
Brenna

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri August 5th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Book five does not confirm Jon's parentage. It does provide more evidence to support a popular theory, though. But Martin has provided so many red herrings and new mysteries to obfuscate that I doubt the answer to Jon's parentage will even be confirmed by the next book.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat August 6th, 2011, 5:21 am

Well now I am really confused(trust me that's not hard for me to do :eek: )

I bought a four set book pack from Amazon U.S.A which contains these books

1Game of Thrones

2 Clash of Kings

3 Sword of Storms

4 A Feast for Crows.

But as I went to order 'Dance with Dragons' I saw on the Amazon U.K site 5 book set? I don't know if I have missed a book?

I thought Dance with Dragons was the 5th book?

I am now a quarter way thru Sword of Storms...but am not sure know if when I finish I then start 'A Feast for Crows?'

I also noted that many fans seem unhappy with Dragons??? Hmmmm seems a lot are saying what I'm thinking...Martin goes off track too many times..but he is a marvelous story teller. Most of it is simply brilliant.

Bec :)

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat August 6th, 2011, 5:43 am

Brenna--"You will learn alot more about Jaime and it leaves you scratching your head because what you thought you knew isn't so true anymore."

Exactly so and that is the genius of Martin in that in some parts I found myself feeling sorry for the scroundrel and I like how he has included Brienne into the Jamie chapters, but I do fear for her furture, Martin has shown he is not scared to kill his characters(grrr at times)And still NO sign of who is Jon Snow's mother acckkkkkk!!!!

fljustice--" the first 3-4 books, because the author seemed to be repeating her/himself or just milking it."

That is the one thing I find irritating about Martin's writing in that he does go along different byways and sojourns with no real point to it! For instance Arya just how long is she going remain on the run as she escapes, gets kidnapped and on and on....

Ludmilla--"Book five does not confirm Jon's parentage.."

Oh brother! When is Martin going to put us all out of our misery. I think Martin does need someone to tap his shoulder and say...No new characters-Just develop the one's you have and get to the point or the climax of the story.

Perhaps a trilogy would be too short but 4 books should be enough to bring everything to fruition and to finally see the outcome.

Ah dear *scratches head* as I go along and continue book 3.

Bec :) I know I have done 2 posts but the five book set on the U.K site threw me a little. :confused: :eek:

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat August 6th, 2011, 10:38 am

Isn't one of the books in two parts?
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat August 6th, 2011, 2:17 pm

The last two: Feast For Crows and Dance with Dragons

I didn't mind Martin going off on his diversions so much in the third book because it was new information and I felt that his diversions added to the story. After that, it was all just so much unnecessary filler, that detracted from the story and kept it from coming to any kind of satisfying conclusion.

Re Arya: I agree, that got bothersome. But I'm really glad where she is right now. I like where Bran is too, tho I wish he'd connect with his half brother already, they are so near to each other. Its the whole Stannis stuck in the snow saga, and the whole Dany saga that has me scratching my head and wondering who this author is and what has he done with the real George RR Martin...

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun August 7th, 2011, 2:14 pm

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness...I just finished the 3rd book. Holy crap! Oh boy. I cannot believe the twists and turns this story has taken. I'll wait until Bec has finished the third book before I say anything else but oh boy Bec are you in for some doozies in this book!
Brenna

Return to “Historical Fantasy”