Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading August 2011?

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

What are you reading August 2011?

Post by Misfit » Mon August 1st, 2011, 12:48 pm

New month, new thread. Still reading The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon August 1st, 2011, 1:17 pm

Still reading A Storm of Swords but also started Queen By Right this weekend. I'll wait until the BOTM thread is up before I say anything about it though.
Brenna

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon August 1st, 2011, 1:31 pm

Still reading The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley and really liking it.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon August 1st, 2011, 2:21 pm

Reading an ARC The Hardest Thing to Do - Christian HF, which is not my thing, but well done. Will start Queen by Right soon.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Mon August 1st, 2011, 3:12 pm

Started yesterday Death Comes by Amphora by Roger Hudson, but all the political factions are boring me a little. Besides Incubus just landed on my doormat... :)
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon August 1st, 2011, 5:22 pm

August already, it'll soon be Christmastide hehe :D Just started 'Vivien Leigh - a biography' by Anne Edwards :)

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon August 1st, 2011, 11:35 pm

I started reading Cleopatra's Moon by Vicki Shecter (YA HF about Cleopatra Selene). So far very good--I just wish the book had started earlier so there would be a few more scenes with Antony. I'm also working on David Loades' new biography of Henry VIII.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon August 1st, 2011, 11:35 pm

For the King by Catherine Delors (paperback ed)

LGWalker
Scribbler

For the beach

Post by LGWalker » Mon August 1st, 2011, 11:51 pm

I just bought "Lake of Dreams" by Kim Edwards, "State of Wonder" by Ann Patchet and have ordered "Hanta Yo" thanks to two people on this site who recommended it to me. Two weeks, three books .... can she do it? Probably not, but I'll try. The problem with summer vacation is too much fried food and too much time to drink wine. :o

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 3:01 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I started reading Cleopatra's Moon by Vicki Shecter (YA HF about Cleopatra Selene). So far very good--I just wish the book had started earlier so there would be a few more scenes with Antony. I'm also working on David Loades' new biography of Henry VIII.[/quote]

I just bought this and someone else is reading it too. I'm sure I saw it on facebook. hmmm, Maybe it was you. Anyway, I suggest a book buddies discussion.

I was reading the first 10 years about Victorian childhood, but the book was written in the 30s and was all over the place with no end notes. The author would say things like "and this was a popular book during the early Victorian Era." even though it was written in 1720s and then there was nothing to back up the statement other than the authors own opinion. Horrible book.

Now I'm reading Marilyn Monroe Personal.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Archives”