Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? July 2011

Retired Threads
LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sat July 30th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Finished 'Valley of the Dolls' by Jacqueline Susann which I was completely hooked by, and now steaming through 'The band that played on: the extraordinary story of the 8 musicians who went down with the Titanic' by Steve Turner. I like it, but not as much as the book I read earlier this year with a similar title, by Christopher Ward which focused on just one of the musicians, his grandfather :)

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sat July 30th, 2011, 4:34 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]Finished 'Valley of the Dolls' by Jacqueline Susann which I was completely hooked by[/quote]
Later on someone else wrote a sequel titled In the Shadow of the Valley of the Dolls. The first chapter was initially written by Susan though.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat July 30th, 2011, 7:52 pm

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat July 30th, 2011, 10:50 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]Finished 'Valley of the Dolls' by Jacqueline Susann which I was completely hooked by[/quote]

That book came out when I was about 11. I wondered what all the hype was about but I didn't want my dad to know I was reading it. So I checked it out from the library, and hid it under my bed. I was in the middle of reading when my dad walked by and said 'oh, I've been wanting to read that, let me know what you think'. Um, ok dad, I replied, face turning red. I should have known that he'd never censor a book from me - he always believed that if I could read it I should, and if I didn't understand it , I'd ask. Well, I didn't understand it all, and still didn't ask! Tried to read it a few years back and was taken by how poorly written it was and couldn't finished it. Never knew if dad read it, he probably did.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat July 30th, 2011, 11:42 pm

Posted by George3
I'm almost finished with 'Imperial Governor' by George Shipway. I only wish that it was longer!!!
Shipway is terrific, and I can't believe that his Agamemnon duo hasn't been reissued as Imperial Governor was.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun July 31st, 2011, 7:45 am

Right now working my way through Citizens of London, nonfiction about three Americans -- Ed Murrow, Gil Winant, and Averell Harriman -- and how they helped the British in WWII.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun July 31st, 2011, 3:34 pm

Started Innamorati by Midori Snyder, recommended by someone who knew I loved HF and Commedia del Arte (the form of theatre started in Italy during the Renaissance, which gave us characters such as Pantolone, Harlequin, Pulcinella, and Pierrot). Its a fun read, esp as the author includes some of the 'improv' stock bits between the characters which were standard of the theatre of the time. Interesting picture of the time period and the history of acting.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun July 31st, 2011, 4:03 pm

Finished off the latest set of Dark Shadows DVD's (dang these are fun) and now can get back to Kearsley's The Rose Garden. It's 61 degrees and drizzling so spending the afternoon reading sounds perfect ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Elysium
Reader

Post by Elysium » Sun July 31st, 2011, 9:04 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]What did you think of it? It's a bit of an unusual one, that. I think we have a thread for this book in the reviews section.[/quote]
I liked the portrayals of Elizabeth and Anthony but the constant timeline jumping was so annoying. I thought it was ok.

[quote=""Brenna""]Let me know what you think. I read Exit the Actress and wasn't really a big fan of Nell.[/quote]
Haven't read anything about Nell before. It's made very clear that she is a whore. From very young age. I don't know, it's been ok I guess. If you don't mind the sec scenes I think it's missing that something.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sun July 31st, 2011, 10:04 pm

I started Mary, Queen of France by Jean Plaidy last night. I just felt like a good quick read, and this should fit the bill.

Return to “Archives”