Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Marketing an Ebook

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
lauragill
Avid Reader

Marketing an Ebook

Post by lauragill » Thu July 21st, 2011, 9:41 pm

I am having a hard time finding venues in which to market my ebook. A lot of historical fiction forums are dead, unlike this one, and I have tried ads on Facebook and such, but the word doesn't seem to be reaching those who might most be interested. A lack of reviews doesn't help, either. I know I like to see reviews before buying something.

So, being that some of the forum members have been involved in historical fiction message boards and forums longer than I have, what do you suggest?

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu July 21st, 2011, 10:43 pm

I can add it to my next instalment of bargain books on my blog. Have you tried Goodreads and Kindleboards? Also, have you tried contacting some of the historical fiction blogs that do reviews and offer them a free copy for a review? Those are the main places I frequent as a reader.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu July 21st, 2011, 11:35 pm

I still think participating in sites like this and Goodreads and interacting with readers so they get to know you is the best way to go. Word of mouth as well from fellow readers whose opinion I respect.

I know some authors contact Amazon reviewers asking for reviews, but puhleeze don't ask them to review and then tell them where to go and buy it. No, I am not kidding, I've received more than one offer like that.

Mythica has some good advice, there are some historical ficiton blogs that are open to featuring new authors.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Fri July 22nd, 2011, 1:01 am

[quote=""Misfit""]I still think participating in sites like this and Goodreads and interacting with readers so they get to know you is the best way to go. Word of mouth as well from fellow readers whose opinion I respect.

I know some authors contact Amazon reviewers asking for reviews, but puhleeze don't ask them to review and then tell them where to go and buy it. No, I am not kidding, I've received more than one offer like that.

Mythica has some good advice, there are some historical ficiton blogs that are open to featuring new authors.[/quote]

Could you please provide links? I want to make sure I'm looking in the right place.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri July 22nd, 2011, 1:11 am

What links specifically are you asking for?

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Fri July 22nd, 2011, 1:27 am

[quote=""Misfit""]What links specifically are you asking for?[/quote]

I just found some HF groups on Goodreads (I belonged to the site, but had forgotten all about it till you and Mythica reminded me. Can you believe that?!) :rolleyes: I did post in the Kindle forum about two weeks ago.

Do you know links to other HF groups or sites which I have not covered that are active? I do read and like to discuss HF as well as want to promote my book, so I'm not looking to spam anyone.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri July 22nd, 2011, 1:35 am

Goodreads and HFO are the best places to chat IMHO. There's the HF boards at Amazon but they're pretty much infested with spamming authors these days. Goodread has groups a-plenty. Just look at books similar to yours and see what groups have them shelved and jump in. As long as you don't spam readers really do like to interact with authors.

ETA, there is also Librarything and Shelfari but I don't spend much time at LT and never at the latter. Can't speak for others.

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Fri July 22nd, 2011, 1:40 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Goodreads and HFO are the best places to chat IMHO. There's the HF boards at Amazon but they're pretty much infested with spamming authors these days. Goodread has groups a-plenty. Just look at books similar to yours and see what groups have them shelved and jump in. As long as you don't spam readers really do like to interact with authors.

ETA, there is also Librarything and Shelfari but I don't spend much time at LT and never at the latter. Can't speak for others.[/quote]

Thanks. I would never spam, because I hate it when people spam me. And I'm not such a lowlife as to create a sockpuppet and review my own book. That's just sad.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri July 22nd, 2011, 2:09 am

[quote=""lauragill""]Thanks. I would never spam, because I hate it when people spam me. And I'm not such a lowlife as to create a sockpuppet and review my own book. That's just sad.[/quote]

;) :) You get extra brownie points just for that. You'd be surprised how many do...

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri July 22nd, 2011, 3:31 am

Have you contacted the Historical Novel Society and asked anyone to review your book?

http://www.historicalnovelsociety.org/

I agree with Misfit that bloggers are an excellent way of getting info out about your book. But like she said please don't ask them to buy the book. I agree, I find that terribly tacky.

Word of mouth is really the best thing. You have to get it into the hands of people who will do some legwork for you(tell friends its a good book and post reviews on amazon and blogs)/
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “The Writing Business”