Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon July 4th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Worst thing today......multiple options here!

Serving up yet another dinner that my 6 year old will not even try!
It was only apricot chicken and rice.

My 3 year old son's daycare suggesting he get assessed for autism. Not what you want to hear when you are 33 weeks pregnant with number 3....

Amazon buying The Book Depository?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed July 6th, 2011, 1:11 am

I'm so sorry you're going through this Amanda. My oldest is the pickiest eater on earth. He was fine as a baby then somebody flipped a switch when he turned two.

I know the suggestion from the daycare is bad news at the moment, but keep in mind that 1) they could be wrong and 2) the sooner you find out the better. The stress can't be good for you or the baby. Try and take some time to relax each day. If friends or family have offered to help, rope them in and accept it.

I'll be praying for you all.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed July 6th, 2011, 3:25 am

LoveHistory, you give good advice. Amanda, your sweet babies are so lucky that they have a mother who cares so much for them. All else will go as it will. All you can do is love them.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed July 13th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Brother was complaining of stomach pain and vomiting when I got home last night, still throwing up this morning so I made an emergency appointment with the doctor for him - the doctor sent him straight to hospital where he is now having his appendix removed.

Don't know how long he will be there as if the appendix is nasty they will need to give him antibiotics via an IV for a day or two apparently. If anyone has any experience of looking after someone who has just had an appendectomy I would be glad to hear it.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed July 13th, 2011, 8:03 pm

I don't have personal experience, but if they remove the appendix before it ruptures (and it sounds as if they have) then I think the recovery is pretty fast and easy. If it ruptured before they got to it, then he will probably be in the hospital in isolation for a few days.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed July 13th, 2011, 8:20 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I don't have personal experience, but if they remove the appendix before it ruptures (and it sounds as if they have) then I think the recovery is pretty fast and easy. If it ruptured before they got to it, then he will probably be in the hospital in isolation for a few days.[/quote]

I think they got it before it ruptured. It sounds like the emergency doctor made the right call. I spoke to the ward and they told me to call back in an hour when he should be back on the ward and they could tell me more. He has been complaining of IBS type symptoms for a while (wouldn't go to the doctor though) and I have to wonder if it was because of appendix problems.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed July 13th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Just spoke to bro on his mobile. He sounded woozy but said he felt much better than last night, so he must have been in a bad way. The operation took longer than usual because they tried keyhole surgery to start with but ended up having to do an open cut. Recovery is about 2 weeks it seems and he will likely be allowed to come home tomorrow.

What a day! Fortunately although I have to work tomorrow and Friday morning I will be at home next week so I can feed him and keep an eye on him.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Wed July 13th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Hope he makes a swift recovery Miss Moppet - I've got a friend who is suspected of having a grumbling appendix, and the doctors are very reluctant to remove it, but it's giving her a lot of trouble :(

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed July 13th, 2011, 9:49 pm

Glad they caught it in time, Moppet. A friend of our had his burst, and he was in the hospital for a week, getting a peritoneal lavage (washing the innards) daily through an open incision until the bacteria count was back to normal.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed July 13th, 2011, 10:01 pm

Good thing you got him to the doctors and then hospital Moppet. I don't have any care advice, but can ask son's girlfriend who lives with us as she has just become a qualified nurse (got a first). She's in bed at the moment, but will talk to her tomorrow. Sounds as if you know what you're doing though. Hugs :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Chat”