Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I've Joined Goodreads....

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue July 12th, 2011, 1:03 pm

I'm there, but I'd joined LibraryThing, which does a similar thing, much earlier, so I don't plan to be active on Goodreads, just LT (though I'm far behind in updating there). It looks good, though, but I'm used to LT and like it there.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue July 12th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Yes, I use Librarything and have all my books listed on there. I like it there, too. I do have an account with Goodreads but don't really use it. I think I put my review of A Discovery of Witches as I was asked to put my review on various sites that I went on (it was a freebie I received). And that's about it!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue July 12th, 2011, 5:30 pm

I'm on there too-as some of you have already discovered! I just haven't spent the time using it properly; therefore I don't think I get out of it what others do. I'm trying though!
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue July 12th, 2011, 5:49 pm

I'm on LT (as MarysGirl - joined several years ago) and active in the Ancient History group and the Hob Nob with Authors. I joined GR later, had a wretched experience with a History group there where the moderators are worse than Dickensian school masters, but found a home in Historical Fictionistas. Misfit is right, it's a major time suck. I've been doing "fiction first" this summer and trying (really!) to limit my time on line. HFO is still my favorite place to hang out. :)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue July 12th, 2011, 7:53 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]I'm on LT (as MarysGirl - joined several years ago) and active in the Ancient History group and the Hob Nob with Authors. I joined GR later, had a wretched experience with a History group there where the moderators are worse than Dickensian school masters, but found a home in Historical Fictionistas. Misfit is right, it's a major time suck. I've been doing "fiction first" this summer and trying (really!) to limit my time on line. HFO is still my favorite place to hang out. :) [/quote]

I joined the Fictionistas group when they first started and things were a bit cliquish then. A lot of my friends are in there so I suspect things have changed but I've got more than enough groups to occupy me ;)

I like to bounce around. There are some folks who pretty much stick to GR, some only at the HF boards at Paperbackswap and then of course here at HFO. So I just jump around a bit.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue July 12th, 2011, 9:29 pm

[quote=""fljustice""] I joined GR later, had a wretched experience with a History group there [/quote] I had a similiar experience when I posted comments on a forum at Bookmooch. The responses I got made me feel like I was being attacked by a pack of rabid dogs. It left a bad taste in my mouth for Bookmooch overall, and I have almost totally quit using the site (I have better results with Paperbackswap, anyway).

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue July 12th, 2011, 10:51 pm

I enjoy Goodreads, but you do have to watch for the unspoken rules of some groups. I was in one group where members were expected to gush about certain authors and trash certain others, and I made the mistake of giving lukewarm--very lukewarm--praise to one of the books that was on the group's hate list. I was told in no uncertain terms that this was a horrid book and that any opinions to the contrary were unacceptable. Needless to say, I didn't stick around. Other groups, though, are much more open to differing opinions.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu July 14th, 2011, 5:48 pm

I think what I like most about Goodreads is the groups and group reads - you can find groups on specific sub-genres. I know this forum has a Book of the Month discussion but there hasn't been one I've really been interested in yet and Goodreads groups allows to me to indulge in all my genres too, not just one.

I also find the ratings on Goodreads more reliable than Amazon (for example, there's no shills) so it's great for finding new books for my to-read list. You don't need an account for that but it's great to just click "add to my books" when you see something you like.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat July 16th, 2011, 6:57 am

I find myself spread around several sites endlessly yakking on about books. I like GR because I can catalog and shelve my books -- and get rid of the overflow without a lot of fuss and trouble. As I really do need to declutter around here, especially when it comes to books, it's a damn handy place to go. And as Misfit said, the reviews there are far more honest than any of the other sites (excepting HFO, and Epinions, to an extent) I have hung out at. HFO is where I come to relax and chat, GR is the shelving spot and general gossip point, and Epinions is where I post the long version of reviews and comments.

I'm soooo OCD.... :rolleyes:

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed July 27th, 2011, 1:57 pm

So I finally figured out how to add friends on Goodreads today. So anyone wondering who is Brenna? That's me! I had no idea you could add more "shelves" until I saw Misfit's profile. Holy cow! I can see a lot of down time at work being caught up in GR. Oy..
Brenna

Return to “Chat”