Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I've Joined Goodreads....

stu1883
Avid Reader
Location: I live in Bristol, England with my wife Nicki & our kittens Boomer & Magic

I've Joined Goodreads....

Post by stu1883 » Sat June 25th, 2011, 3:21 pm

I have finally got around to joining Goodreads and am wondering if any of my fellow HFO buddies are a member too?

If you are, let me know and I would love to have you as a friend too.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat June 25th, 2011, 4:02 pm

You'll find quite a few of us over there.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sat June 25th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Yes, and it is a great site.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

TeralynPilgrim
Scribbler

Post by TeralynPilgrim » Mon July 11th, 2011, 3:57 pm

Isn't that the best site ever? I totally abuse the book swap.
A Writer's Journey http://teralynpilgrim.blogspot.com/
Querying Sacred Fire,a novel of the Vestal Virgins of Ancient Rome.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon July 11th, 2011, 4:39 pm

I joined, but I didn't see a point to it.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon July 11th, 2011, 4:43 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I joined, but I didn't see a point to it.[/quote]

You can shelve your books any which way you like, get creative. Book sucked, favorite ever, Tudor 90210, tried a free sample hated it, no freaking way, etc.

What you do want is to start finding us and making friends as the beauty of Goodreads is your feeds on your main page. You see who is reading what, planning to read, etc. You can comment on their activity and there's lots of interaction from that. There are also groups to join if you want to focus on a main period. I think you'd like the American Historial group.

I also like the reading updates. I can key in what page I'm on, make a comment or add a thought or even an image of a character or the setting. Friends can comment on those as well.

Here's me if you want to friend me.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon July 11th, 2011, 6:58 pm

I like the idea of Goodreads, but frankly, I just can't afford to spend any more time playing online than I already do :)

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Mon July 11th, 2011, 7:42 pm

I'm there!
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon July 11th, 2011, 8:32 pm

[quote=""annis""]I like the idea of Goodreads, but frankly, I just can't afford to spend any more time playing online than I already do :) [/quote]

It is major major time suck :p

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon July 11th, 2011, 9:48 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]You can shelve your books any which way you like, get creative. Book sucked, favorite ever, Tudor 90210, tried a free sample hated it, no freaking way, etc.

What you do want is to start finding us and making friends as the beauty of Goodreads is your feeds on your main page. You see who is reading what, planning to read, etc. You can comment on their activity and there's lots of interaction from that. There are also groups to join if you want to focus on a main period. I think you'd like the American Historial group.

I also like the reading updates. I can key in what page I'm on, make a comment or add a thought or even an image of a character or the setting. Friends can comment on those as well.

Here's me if you want to friend me.[/quote]

Eh, still not impressed. I mean I dont care about ranking books. I read a book and move on. No need to bother the masses with what I think sucked or was good.

And I can go on here and find out what everyone is reading. Not sure I need yet another site to do it when this one works pretty good and I follow blogs.

If it works for other people, that's great. I just dont see the need for one more tool in the toolbox that doesn't have a specific function but does the same job as 3 other tools.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Chat”