Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2012 edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu June 23rd, 2011, 4:20 pm

The Tudors: History of a Dynasty by David Loades. Non-fiction. UK release March 8, 2012.

This title offers a new and comprehensive overview of the complete Tudor dynasty taking in the most recent scholarship. David Loades provides a masterful overview of this formative period of British history. Exploring the reign of each monarch within the framework of the dynasty, he unpacks the key questions surrounding the monarchy; the relationship between church and the state, development of government, war and foreign policy, the question of Ireland and the issue of succession in Tudor politics. Loades considers the recent scholarship on the dynasty as a whole, and Henry VIII, Elizabeth I and Mary Tudor in particular and considers how recent revisionist history asks new questions of their political and personal lives. This places our understanding of the dynasty as a whole in a new light.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldhousejunkie
Scribbler

Post by oldhousejunkie » Fri July 1st, 2011, 3:19 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]The Garden Intrigue by Lauren Willig. US and UK release February 16, 2012.

As Napoleon pursues his plans for the invasion of England, English operative Augustus Whittlesby gets wind of a top secret device, to be demonstrated over the course of a house party at Malmaison. The catch? The only way in is to join forces with that annoying American socialite, Emma Morris Delagardie, who has been commissioned to write a masque for the weekend’s entertainment. Even so, it should leave plenty of alone time with Augustus’ colleague (and goddess), Jane Wooliston, who has been tapped to play the heroine. Or so Augustus tells himself. In this complicated masque within a masque, nothing seems to go quite as scripted… especially Emma.[/quote]

I used to love Lauren Willig. I read all of her books up to "The Seduction of the Crimson Rose" and then just peetered out. She started turning out a book a year and I felt like the quality went down hill. :(
I blog about all things writing and historical at Caroline Wilson Writes!

I'm also on Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads!

Now Available: "Rebel Heart," a romantic historical fiction set in Civil War America and Victorian England.

Available at Amazon

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat July 2nd, 2011, 11:11 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]The Tudors: History of a Dynasty by David Loades. Non-fiction. UK release March 8, 2012.

[/quote]

Ooh, interesting! I'm going to be meeting David Loades in November at a convention discussing historical academia and historical fiction.
(namedropping, namedropping!). :D
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Mon July 4th, 2011, 8:43 pm

I am thoroughly enjoying your Lady of the English, EC2 .....as I have with other books of yours! :)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon July 4th, 2011, 10:41 pm

Thank you Berengaria! :D
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu July 21st, 2011, 5:19 pm

Between my vacation and moving, it appears that I have been very neglectful of update this list and need to seriously catch up. Get ready for it...

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu July 21st, 2011, 5:20 pm

Armada by John Stack. UK release January 5, 2012.

It is 1587. Two nations are locked in bitter conflict. One strives for dominance, the other for survival. After decades of religious strife, Elizabeth sits on the throne of England. The reformation continues. Catholic revolts have been ruthlessly quashed, and Elizabeth has ordered the execution of her cousin, Mary Queen of Scots.

On the continent bloody religious wars rage, but England stands apart, her surrounding seas keeping her safe from the land armies of her would-be enemies. Only at sea do the English show their teeth. Sea captains and adventurers, hungry for the spoils of trade from the Spanish Main, regularly attack the gold-laden galleons of Catholic Spain. They are terriers nipping at the feet of war-horses but their victories disrupt the treasury of Spain, England’s greatest threat, and Elizabeth’s refusal to rein in her sea-captains further antagonises Philip II.

Thomas Varian is a captain in Drake’s formidable navy, rising quickly through the ranks. But he guards a secret – one for which he would pay with his life if discovered: he is a Catholic. He is about to find his conflicting loyalty to his religion, to his Queen, and to his country tested under the most formidable of circumstances: facing the mighty Armada. Unknown to Varian, he will also be facing his long-estranged father, who is fighting on the side of the Spanish enemy…

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu July 21st, 2011, 5:21 pm

A Man in Uniform by Kate Taylor. US and UK release January 17, 2012. (This was released early this year in hardback, but I hadn't heard of it before so thought I would include it.)

At the height of the Belle Epoque, François Dubon leads a well-ordered life in the bourgeois quarters of Paris’ eighth arrondissement. When not busy with his prosperous legal practice, he enjoys both a contented marriage to his aristocratic wife, Geneviève, and satisfying afternoon encounters with his mistress, Madeleine. He is never late for those five o’clock appointments nor for family dinner at seven—until a mysterious widow comes to his office with an unusual request.

The lady insists that only Dubon can save her innocent friend, an Army captain named Dreyfus who was convicted of spying and exiled to Devil’s Island two years earlier. Not wishing to disappoint the alluring widow, the gallant Dubon makes some perfunctory inquiries. But when he discovers the existence of a secret military file withheld from the defense during the trial, he embarks on an obsessive pursuit of justice that upends his complacent life.

Donning a borrowed military uniform, Dubon goes undercover into the murky world of counterespionage, where his erratic hours alarm his forbidding wife and make his mistress increasingly aloof. As the layers of deceit and double crosses mount, Dubon’s quixotic quest leads him into the heart of a dark conspiracy—one that endangers his own life and threatens to throw France herself into turmoil.

Based on the infamous Dreyfus Affair and enriched with a generous dose of classic noir, A Man in Uniform is a gripping and seductive mystery set against the gilded years of late nineteenth-century Paris.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu July 21st, 2011, 5:28 pm

Alix and Nicky by Virginia Rounding. Non-fiction. US and UK release January 17, 2012.

For the first time since Robert Massie’s classic Nicholas and Alexandra, comes a penetrating and deeply personal study of the lives of the last Russian Tsar and
Tsarina that gives profound psychological insight into their marriage and how it shaped the events that engulfed them

Few characters in history are as fascinating or controversial as Nicholas and Alexandra. From their passionate love to their horrifying execution, they are alternately viewed as innocent victims of Bolshevik assassins or blamed for causing the Revolution themselves.

Much has already been written about their lives. But acting as a curator of the many conflicting histories, acclaimed author Virginia Rounding offers a different kind of biography, with an intimate look that probes the souls of these unforgettable figures, and tells the story of their passion and its consequences for Russia. Through newly revealed letters and diaries, Rounding explores the Empress’s ill health, examines the enigmatic triangular relationship between Nicky, Alix and her confidante Ania Vyrubova, and looks anew at the reasons behind their reliance on the infamous Rasputin. Her conclusions are surprising. With eloquence and compassion, Rounding makes these characters come alive, presenting them in all their complexity and ardor, guiding the reader into their vanished world.
Last edited by Tanzanite on Thu July 21st, 2011, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu July 21st, 2011, 5:30 pm

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen. Young Adult. US and UK release February 14, 2012.
Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance. Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.

Return to “General Discussion”