Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

book discussion group?

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!
chuck
Bibliophile

reading blahs

Post by chuck » Sun October 19th, 2008, 5:21 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]I might start a thread about how to get through a reading slump to get you some other ideas![/quote]

That would be great....I look forward to your remarks and suggestions......Thank You

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun October 19th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Yes....I think I'll do a 180 degrees and give Elmer Kelton a favorite Western writer a go (comfort reads)....
Have you read Owen Wister's The Virginian? It's quite good. Haven't read Kelton yet. One of these days.

Ash is right, sometimes you just need to head for another century and/or another continent. As much as I enjoy the medieval period, I've had some rocking good reads recently set in 19C US.

chuck
Bibliophile

The Virginian

Post by chuck » Sun October 19th, 2008, 8:50 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Have you read Owen Wister's The Virginian? It's quite good. Haven't read Kelton yet. One of these days.

Ash is right, sometimes you just need to head for another century and/or another continent. As much as I enjoy the medieval period, I've had some rocking good reads recently set in 19C US.[/quote]

I read Wister's The Virginian a couple of years ago....outstanding western classic.....

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon October 20th, 2008, 12:21 am

The Virginian -- what a man. The other ladies on this forum have no idea what they're missing. Funny too, I loved the baby switching part :D :D

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Robert J. Conley

Post by Margaret » Mon October 20th, 2008, 1:43 am

Chuck, in the "Old West" category, I've been really intrigued by Robert J. Conley's novels ever since I researched them for my website. Conley is a Cherokee author who has won Spur Awards for his Western novels. I haven't read him yet, but have been keeping him in mind for the TBR - not sure yet which of his novels to start with, but Nickajack was the novel he won his first Spur Award with.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon October 20th, 2008, 2:47 am

Thanks Margaret, I will definitely Conley's Westerns give a read....

.....Misfit Have you ever seen the film "The Virginian" Joel McCrae as the Virginian, Brian Duleavy as Trampas and the endearing Sunny Tufts as Steve, his best friend...well done
Last edited by chuck on Mon October 20th, 2008, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon October 20th, 2008, 3:13 am

Then of course there was the tv series - assuming based on the book?

chuck
Bibliophile

The Virginian...mediocre TV Western

Post by chuck » Mon October 20th, 2008, 3:32 am

[quote=""Ash""]Then of course there was the tv series - assuming based on the book?[/quote]

The first 90 minute TV series......can't remember much about it.....Other then they got it all wrong....Hope you weren't a fan....

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon October 20th, 2008, 4:33 am

Hee, no. I was a little kid then, I just remember my dad and brother watching it.

I was actually a fan of High Chapparall and The Rifleman

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon October 20th, 2008, 1:54 pm

I vaguely remember the series but there's no way it's 100% on the book because of the way the book ended. I'd give spoilers if I said why. I loved those old westerns. Bonanza, The Rifleman, Wagon Train. One of the cable channels used to have Saturday afternoon westerns. It's sorely missed.

Chuck, I'll have to check out that film version.

Ash, it's an excellent book. Very funny at times.
Last edited by Misfit on Mon October 20th, 2008, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Site Suggestions”