Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Greetings from Atlanta!

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
noodles
Scribbler

Greetings from Atlanta!

Post by noodles » Sun June 5th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Hi! I'm so glad I found this website. I've loved reading HF for years, although I'm still a novice I'm sure. Some of my favorite books are:

Katherine by Anya Seton
Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor
The Far Pavilions by M M Kaye
Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon

Other authors I like are Phillipa Gregory, Tracey Chevalier, Geraldine Brooks and Karleen Koen. I like to read about all different time periods, but I seem to read the most about 15th-17th century UK/Italy/France.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun June 5th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Welcome to the group, noodles! Lots of friendly people, good information and lively discussion. Looking forward to chatting with you on the threads. BTW, Tracy Chevalier is also one my favorites; just finished Burning Bright and really enjoyed it.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun June 5th, 2011, 3:55 pm

Hi noodles, welcome aboard. Feel free to jump in anywhere, it really is a friendly place.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sun June 5th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Welcome and enjoy.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun June 5th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Hi noodles! *waves* I'm kind of a newbie compared to many of our members too, but they've never thrown tomatoes at me for it. :D

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun June 5th, 2011, 6:14 pm

Welcome, Noodles! I hope you enjoy it here.

I loved Katherine and Forever Amber. I love the Outlander series - just have Echo of the Bone to read. I loved M M Kaye's Trade Winds and Shadow of the Moon and have The Far Pavilions on my TBR pile - I remember watching the TV adaptation years ago.

Tracy Chevalier and Philippa Gregory are favourites of mine, too. I loved Geraldine Brooks' People of the Book and Year of Wonders and enjoyed March. I have one of Karleen Koen's books on my TBR pile - can't remember which one but know it is one which was recommended on here!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun June 5th, 2011, 7:28 pm

Hi noodles and welcome! I also like Tracy Chevalier and Philippa Gregory, Elizabeth Chadwick and Diana Gabaldon, although so far I've only read the first in the Outlander series.

Have fun on the boards.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

noodles
Scribbler

Post by noodles » Sun June 5th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun June 5th, 2011, 8:40 pm

Hi Noodles! You've certainly come to the right place for reading recommendations.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon June 6th, 2011, 11:21 am

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you here.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”