Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 11:39 pm

[quote=""DianeL""] but I have been listening to the soundtrack for "Amadeus" in my car. Great driving music.[/quote]

In my late teens and early twenties I swore by Tchaikovsky's music (those gorgeous slow themes) but after seeing Amadeus I spent years discovering/ listening to Mozart's exquisite music.For the past few months Bruckner is getting all my attention.The slow movements of his symphonies are very moving and beautiful.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Fri June 3rd, 2011, 2:12 am

BrianPK, I like Mozart when bombast is fun, but for emotional depth, amusingly, I respond to Bach most. My dad raised me and my brother on "Switched-On Bach" - waking us, on reluctant days, by blasting it at top volume, and coming in the room pulling our legs up from bed by the big toe. Heh. The funky Wendy Carlos sound of the Brandenberg Concerto makes me weep tears of joy to this day ...
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri June 3rd, 2011, 2:42 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Saw Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris. Beautifully filmed, well acted (tho I would have chosen someone else for the lead part). [/quote]

We saw Midnight in Paris last night. I agree, beautifully filmed. Quite a valentine to the city. Very funny; the best Woody Allen film in years.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun June 5th, 2011, 2:10 am

I got turned on to classical music by my first college roomate who was a classical guitarist and used to play "Christopher Parkening Plays Bach". That was the first classsical album I bought and I still have a place in my heart for all of his music. I can listen to it any time; ditto Mozart. Beethoven, it depends,but if I want something to stir my emotions, there is nothing like the 9th.

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Sun June 5th, 2011, 7:59 am

SLOC and I went to see Harry Potter and the Philosophers (Sorcerers) Stone yesterday. One of the cinema chains are running a special deal in the lead up to the final movie, in that they are playing the older movies 2 sessions a weekend.

It was interesting to see what type of audience attended. We were probably the oldest there that didn't have at least 1 child in tow, but there were still quite a few late-teen / early twenties without smaller children. It was mostly families though, whihc makes sense.

Couldn't believe just how young the main actors were, and how much they've grown in the last 10-ish years :D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun June 5th, 2011, 5:48 pm

Watched the first disc (of 12) of The Pallisers. Looking pretty interesting and not bad quality for 1974. First two episodes have introduced enough possibilities that I'm already thinking of locating copies of the books it was based on. Trollope is always good.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun June 5th, 2011, 9:09 pm

We watched Black Swan the night before last. Wow! Talk about a freaky and completely twisted movie!!
Brenna

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Sun June 5th, 2011, 11:05 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Watched the first disc (of 12) of The Pallisers. Looking pretty interesting and not bad quality for 1974. First two episodes have introduced enough possibilities that I'm already thinking of locating copies of the books it was based on. Trollope is always good.[/quote]
It was compulsive viewing in our house many years ago.Loved it. :)

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Wed June 8th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Watched the Bela Lugosi 1931 version of Dracula,last night. Innocent enjoyment :D http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021814/

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed June 8th, 2011, 11:41 pm

BrianPK - hee, innocent. :)

I caught a bit of "In a Lonely Place" the other morning, and need to be Netflicking (or, heck, just buying) that. Sometimes noir is JUST the thing. Also on this week's inexplicably-early-morning-movies: The Fifth Musketeer (one of those mind-bending casts you only ever seem to find assembeld in the 1970s) and I Am the Law. Ahh, I love Edward G. Robinson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fifth_Musketeer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030254/
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”