Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre-Raphaelites

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Pre-Raphaelites

Post by Madeleine » Tue May 17th, 2011, 7:07 pm

I've just booked to go to a new exhibition at London's Victoria and Albert Museum, called The Cult of Beauty, and it features works of art and design by the likes of Rossetti and William Morris.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed May 18th, 2011, 4:28 am

Some years ago a Pre-Raphaelite exhibition came to NZ and I was lucky enough to see it. So amazing to see the paintings first hand, plus there was an exhibition guide who was very good and explained some of the nuances in the work which the average person (like me) wouldn't pick up .

Cuchulainn
Reader

Post by Cuchulainn » Fri May 20th, 2011, 2:26 am

I've always had a particular place in my heart for the Pre-Raphaelites - in no short reason becuase my preference for visual art is actually Pre-Raphael; that is, the art of the line - not of depth or texture - there is something inherently spiritual about the plane becuase it necessarily must suggest its subject, rather than depict it (ironically, however, the fresco painters, etc., that were pre-Raphael were trying to depict nature as best they could - and it's only our modern eyes that perceive the lack of depth and texture).

I really like the Pre-Raphaelites vibe and what they were trying to do. It's no mistake that Blake called his works fresco (even though they weren't) and it was Rossettie who was responsible for making Blake as famous as he is now.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun May 22nd, 2011, 2:13 am

One thing about the incredibly hard-working William Morris that many people don't know is that he left a substantial body of literary work; non-fiction, poetry, myths and legends ( several translated from their original languages) and some very passable fantasy. I read some of his fantasies back in the day- stuff like The Wood Beyond the World and The Well at the World's End, and really enjoyed them.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri June 3rd, 2011, 4:03 pm

Just back from the Cult of Beauty exhibition at London's V & A, worth a visit if you're into the pre-Raphs and William Morris - some quite well-known paintings there - The Golden Stair, The Daydream and another one which, shamefully, I've already forgotten the name to - and some furniture, sculpture, clothes and jewellery; plus some William Morris designs which are still very popular today, including the famous pomegranate pattern. There was also a small painting called "Fair Rosamund", purportedly of Rosamund Clifford, who, according to the display card, was poisoned by Henry II's jealous wife!

The V & A is lovely, we had lunch in a gorgeous landscaped courtyard garden with a big pool where children (it's half-term week in the UK) were all paddling, and it was a very pleasant place to sit.
Last edited by Madeleine on Sat June 4th, 2011, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldhousejunkie
Scribbler

Post by oldhousejunkie » Thu June 9th, 2011, 1:44 pm

I am extremely jealous. The V&A is my favorite museum and I adore the Pre-Raphaelites. I still remember seeing Millais' version of Ophelia at Tate Gallery many years ago. It was an incredible experience.

I wish I was going to be in London now!
I blog about all things writing and historical at Caroline Wilson Writes!

I'm also on Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads!

Now Available: "Rebel Heart," a romantic historical fiction set in Civil War America and Victorian England.

Available at Amazon

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu June 9th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Oh yes, I must go to the Tate and say hi to Ophelia!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon November 5th, 2012, 2:45 pm

There's now another exhibition on at Tate Britain, featuring the Pre-Raphaelites - I'm determined to get to this one! It's on til mid January.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sun December 30th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Managed to get to the exhibition at Tate Britain on Friday, and it was great; lots of paintings including some of the real showstoppers: Ophelia, Lady of Shalott, Lilith, Monna Vanna, and some lovely tapestries.

J.D. Oswald
Reader

Post by J.D. Oswald » Fri January 4th, 2013, 6:12 pm

I'm very jealous too! In my early 20s I used to travel to various art galleries in northern England seeking out famous Pre-Raphaelite paintings. I shall have to dig out my books instead :)

Return to “Victorian”