Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Four Royal Daughters of Provence

annis
Bibliomaniac

Four Royal Daughters of Provence

Post by annis » Sat October 18th, 2008, 10:33 pm

I've just finished reading "Painted in Blood", the latest in Pip Vaughan-Hughes' Petroc series.

This episode is quite a dark affair, and features Count Raymond VII of Toulouse's final attempt to shake off the French yoke. His abortive rebellion led to his utter subjugation to French king Louis IX and agreement to abandon his Cathar subjects to the Inquisition after the Siege of Montségur ended in 1244.

As a peripheral personality i came across Sanchia of Provence. I discovered that she was one of four daughters of Ramon Berenguer IV, Count of Provence and his wife Beatrice of Savoy. All were described as being extremely beautiful and all became queens.

Marguerite of Provence became Queen consort of Louis IX of France
Eleanor of Provence became the Queen consort of Henry III of England.
Sanchia of Provence became the Queen consort of Richard, Earl of Cornwall (brother of Henry III of England) and rival King of the Germans.
Beatrice of Provence was the Queen consort of Charles I of Sicily

Does anyone know of any NF or HF about these four fascinating sisters?
Last edited by annis on Sat October 18th, 2008, 10:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat October 18th, 2008, 11:59 pm

[quote=""annis""]I've just finished reading "Painted in Blood", the latest in Pip Vaughan-Hughes' Petroc series.

This episode is quite a dark affair, and features Count Raymond VII of Toulouse's final attempt to shake off the French yoke. His abortive rebellion led to his utter subjugation to French king Louis IX and agreement to abandon his Cathar subjects to the Inquisition after the Siege of Montségur ended in 1244.

As a peripheral personality i came across Sanchia of Provence. I discovered that she was one of four daughters of Ramon Berenguer IV, Count of Provence and his wife Beatrice of Savoy. All were described as being extremely beautiful and all became queens.

Marguerite of Provence became Queen consort of Louis IX of France
Eleanor of Provence became the Queen consort of Henry III of England.
Sanchia of Provence became the Queen consort of Richard, Earl of Cornwall (brother of Henry III of England) and rival King of the Germans.
Beatrice of Provence was the Queen consort of Charles I of Sicily

Does anyone know of any NF or HF about these four fascinating sisters?[/quote]

Yup. Four Queens by Nancy Goldstone (NF). I read it a while back and really enjoyed it. Jean Plaidy has written a novel about Eleanor of Provence. I think I have one by Maureen Peters also.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun October 19th, 2008, 12:48 am

Thanks, boswellbaxter. It's always a buzz to come across some previously undiscovered piece of history :)

Return to “Questions and Research”