Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Queen reconquers Ireland

BrianPK
Reader

Queen reconquers Ireland

Post by BrianPK » Fri May 20th, 2011, 11:03 pm

The Queen and her husband flew out of Ireland today at the conclusion of her four day official visit after converting the vast majority of Irish people into temporary monarchists and leaving the republicans trailing in her wake. The visit is regarded as a triumph for UK/Irish relations and a personal triumph for the Queen herself . She was a delight and she overwhelmed the population with her charm and grace. Her smile is a secret weapon that should be used to quell any distrust in world trouble spots. While security was relaxed a little on the last day and allowed hundreds of admirers to get close to her,there is deep felt disappointment that due to a possible threat from a handful of nationalist fanatics, countless tens of thousands were denied a closeness to her person which they craved.But the population followed the visit avidly on television every day. Every conversation- opener amongst friends and strangers was about the delight at the Queens presence in our country. Hardened cynics, who generally felt quite positive about the visit but indifferent otherwise, were won over with remarkable ease when the Queen stepped off the plane in her gorgeous green outfit,with her natural warmth, charm and friendliness and of course that beautiful smile which royal watchers say she displayed more in Ireland than on any other visit. Her popularity soared with her dignified presence at our war memorials, with her official speech about our troubled past and especially her use of the Irish language in the opening of that speech. She is a class act and has a unique ability make people feel good about themselves. Prince Phillip also delighted people with his charm and sense of humour. This highly successful visit will long be remembered.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat May 21st, 2011, 8:00 am

Glad it went well and she was mostly well-received. I think she is a great lady. I think she is very brave, too.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat May 21st, 2011, 8:40 am

It has to be seen as a remarkable step forward towards reconciliation. I agree that it showed great resolution on the Queen's part, given the long history of bitterness and violence and that some people are never prepared to accept change. Glad to hear that Prince P managed to not to put his foot in it this time :) I imagine the Prince would have had some mixed emotions with the memory of the assassination of his uncle, Lord Louis Mountbatten by the IRA in 1979.
Last edited by annis on Sat May 21st, 2011, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat May 21st, 2011, 11:37 am

I think Lord Mountbatten was Charles's uncle; he was devastated.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Sat May 21st, 2011, 12:06 pm

Lord Mountbatten was Prince Charles' great-uncle, I think, Prince Philip being his nephew.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat May 21st, 2011, 3:08 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Lord Mountbatten was Prince Charles' great-uncle, I think, Prince Philip being his nephew.[/quote]

Correct! Philip's mother was the sister of Lord Mountbatten. They were born Princess Alice and Prince Louis of Battenberg, but the name was changed (by order of King George V) to Mountbatten during World War II. Alice and Louis' mother was Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine. Victoria was the granddaughter of Queen Victoria (and daughter of QV's daughter Alice) and the sister of Alexandra (born Alix), the wife of Tsar Nicholas II.

The Queen and Prince Philip are third cousins via their descent from Queen Victoria.

Queen Victoria m. Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha -> Edward VII m. Alexandra of Denmark -> George V m. Mary of Teck -> George VI m. Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon -> Elizabeth II m. Philip of Greece

Queen Victoria m. Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha -> Alice m. Louis IV of Hesse and by Rhine -> Victoria m. Louis of Battenberg -> Alice m. Andrew of Greece -> Philip of Greece m. Elizabeth II

They are also second cousins once removed via their descent from King Christian IX of Denmark. Note Philip's Romanov descent. His grandmother Olga was a granddaughter of Tsar Nicholas I and first cousin of Tsar Alexander III.

Christian IX of Denmark m. Louise of Hesse-Kassel -> Alexandra m. Edward VII -> George V m. Mary of Teck -> George VI m. Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon -> Elizabeth II m. Philip of Greece

Christian IX of Denmark m. Louise of Hesse-Kassel -> William (became King George I of Greece) m. Olga Constantinovna of Russia -> Andrew of Greece m. Alice of Battenberg -> Philip of Greece m. Elizabeth II
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Sat May 21st, 2011, 3:46 pm

[quote=""annis""]. Glad to hear that Prince P managed to not to put his foot in it this time :) .[/quote]

Actually he came across very well and people were very pleased with him. He didn't commit any faux pas by calling any one Paddy or pass remarks about red hair a la his Chinese comments years ago. :D . . . but we didn't really expect him to.

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Mon May 23rd, 2011, 11:17 pm

Opinion poll in Sunday paper states that 95% of population in Republic were delighted with the Queens visit. Prince Phillip impressed 92% of population. I don't believe that they are even that popular in Britain. :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Tue May 24th, 2011, 8:43 am

That's nice to know.

Return to “Chat”