Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue May 17th, 2011, 6:32 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Watched it a couple of months ago and loved it. Especially liked the end credits where they change from the acted film to actual footage of Valerie Plame testifying before congress,[/quote]

Loved, loved, loved this film! Made me relive all of the anger I experienced for 8 years, but it was very well done! :D
Brenna

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue May 17th, 2011, 6:33 pm

[quote=""DianeL""]Note to self: do bump this one up on the Netflix qeue![/quote]

Diane-

If you have access to Watch Instantly, you can watch it on there (then you don't have to wait for the DVD to arrive). :D
Brenna

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed May 18th, 2011, 1:51 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Diane-

If you have access to Watch Instantly, you can watch it on there (then you don't have to wait for the DVD to arrive). :D [/quote]

I do, but there are some things I prefer on DVD. My laptop is great, but I only really watch shorter things on it, it's less relaxing basically, and when I want to be really immersed I want to relax. Streaming is for docs or TV most of the time. :)

Which brings me to Starkey's Monarchy, this week's in-between-times streaming. I always like history TV, but of course it's history TV (and of course it's David Starkey, whose depth of scholarship doesn't always surpass the medium, shall we say).

The last DVDs were "Pillars of the Earth" which I rather enjoyed. Next up on DVD will be Terry Jones' Barbarians.

Not all my TV/docs get left to the streaming qeue ... ;)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed May 18th, 2011, 2:17 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Loved, loved, loved this film! Made me relive all of the anger I experienced for 8 years, but it was very well done! :D [/quote]

Why would you love it if it made you relive all the anger you had?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed May 18th, 2011, 2:31 am

Hoping to watch part of Inkheart tonight and Lady Jane is supposed to be in my mailbox tomorrow. Must rearrange my queue. Getting a bit Tudor-ed out.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed May 18th, 2011, 9:34 am

I enjoyed Inkheart; it looks great, although I thought it got a bit repetitive towards the end. Great turn from Andy Serkis.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

JessMountifield
Scribbler

Post by JessMountifield » Wed May 18th, 2011, 11:14 am

I've not seen it yet but off to see the 4th pirate of the Caribbean film this evening, so very excited. Will post back here to say what I think tomorrow though I promise not to post spoilers for anyone that hasn't seen it yet.

N. Gemini Sasson
Reader

Post by N. Gemini Sasson » Wed May 18th, 2011, 1:59 pm

Thor.

If you enjoy movies with spectacular effects and lots of action - good to excellent.

If you like movies that move you, make you think and have deeply developed characters - um, room for improvement?

It was entertaining. Some of the visual effects blew me away. I usually like Natalie Portman, but she's had better roles.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri May 20th, 2011, 7:03 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Why would you love it if it made you relive all the anger you had?

SM[/quote]

Good question. Well, the acting was amazing and living in the place I did during this time period, I was one of the only people that was angered by the situation. I guess I felt vindicated watching the film.
Brenna

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun May 22nd, 2011, 1:25 am

The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Good but the book is better. Watched it last night with my oldest niece, who then slept over. Tonight the next one down is staying over.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”