Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Steampunk Novels

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Steampunk Novels

Post by Divia » Tue May 17th, 2011, 1:24 am

I put this thread here since Steam punk sorta has something to do with HF. Anyway, has anyone read a steampunk novel? I'm interested in these books. I'd also love a list of books(with MC as a female).

Thanks for your help!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue May 17th, 2011, 1:35 am

Well, if you're looking for YA, Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines Quartet fits pretty much into the steampunk genre. These have a couple as the main characters- Tom Natsworthy and Hester Shaw. I think Reeve is a brilliant author and loved his YA HF novel Here Lies Arthur as well.

China Miéville's YA steampunk fantasy Un Lun Dunis pretty good, too. Has two girls as the MCs.

Philip Pullman's Sally Lockhart Quartet is another goodie. It was adapted for TV movie starring Billie Piper.
Last edited by annis on Tue May 17th, 2011, 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue May 17th, 2011, 3:03 am

YA would be nice, but isnt a must. :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue May 17th, 2011, 6:24 pm

What the whoha is a Steampunk novel?? :o
Brenna

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue May 17th, 2011, 9:48 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]What the whoha is a Steampunk novel?? :o [/quote]

Mixes (usually) the Victorian Era and steam powered technology. Or victorian looking technology that they coul dhad if they knew how to do it. An example that was given to me would be a fake arm with springs and clock like wheels.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:06 pm

So, how does this work into a novel? Just wondering what the plot would be....

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:37 pm

Well, I guess its a little bit of fantasy. There could be a secret society of steam powered robots that want to take over the world.

Actually, I've only read 1 steampunk novel, so my knowledge is limited.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Tue May 17th, 2011, 11:04 pm

Which one did you read? ;)
I'm interested too and here I am waiting to see if someone mentions something interesting and not too YA :) These books have a certain Jules Verne feeling and I love jules Verne's books.

So far I have read Incarceron, not sure if it's exactly Steampunk but it does mixes a victorian apparent society with advanced technology. I found it too teen to my taste but it was entertaining and quick read. Maybe more dystopian than steampunk actually.

Other book I've read and enjoyed is Retribution Falls. No main female character though, and the main male character is a very unlucky selfish captain with his strange gang. I liked it preciselly because it was different. You can't approve how he acts most of the time but he redeems himself a little in the end. I've got the second book on my TBR.

And on my TBR too The Native Star. It did sound interesting when I bought it.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue May 17th, 2011, 11:30 pm

I've read Native Star and its recent sequel and enjoyed them. They're a fun mix of wild west with magic, light romance and some Aztec mythology. I've read a few other steampunk romances with varying mileage. Don't really see the ones I've read as Divia's cup of tea though. Of course one never knows until one tries.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed May 18th, 2011, 12:05 am

I read Clockwork Angel. It was long winded.

There is YA:
The girl in the Steel Corset
The Iron Thorn
Leviathan Series

I'm interested in it, and am thinking about trying my hand at it. It seems to be up and coming.

Return to “General Discussion”