Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Do you keep your books?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue April 26th, 2011, 1:40 pm

I have no idea how many I have. An average size shelf holds 15 hardback books and I have about 50 shelves. But not all shelves are the same size so, probably more or less 1000, give or take. That doesn't include paperbacks, I'd say 500 or so. There are about 50 on my TBR stack.

I keep a TBR list and keep it in my purse, so I am always ready any time I entire a place selling books, whether its a chain, indie, used, or a thrift store. Half the fun is browsing and finding what I am looking for in unusual places, which is why I so much prefer real shopping to online, tho I do the latter frequently. Just not the same.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Wed April 27th, 2011, 8:59 am

Keeping a TBR list in your purse is a really good idea Ash, why have I never thought of that?! :) My list is on my laptop which isn't any good when I'm out at a car boot/charity shop/book shop, I might have to do that.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed April 27th, 2011, 2:19 pm

I now keep the list of what I already own and those that I am interested in buying as Word documents on my Kindle. That way I can do a search.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Fri April 29th, 2011, 8:46 am

I'm up to 708 books on LibraryThing (i had a productive Easter weekend cataloging, sseing as I only joined last week), and am just reaching "G" in the main library. So my estimation of 2.5 thousand in the house may be slightly unambitious (that's not the right word, but I can't tgink if what it should be instead).

Just have to "train" SLOC to give me the books he buys straight-away so i can enter them before they disappear into the TBR mountain we have :D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Rissa
Scribbler

Post by Rissa » Fri May 13th, 2011, 9:33 am

I call about 400 books my own, with 90% being historical fiction and historical fantasy.
I keep most of my books, I only re-sell or swap if I absolutely hate them. I want to be able to re-read them if I want to, so I just can't give them away.

When I entered these books into a list (several tabs at Excel) last November I had at least 60 less than today, but it was fun, and now I have a nice overview over my pile of unread books which is a lot higher than I thought.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat May 14th, 2011, 6:04 am

I've been cataloging the house over on Goodreads for about a year now, and love it. It's a great way to see if I already have a book or not, if I've read it, and if I've reviewed it. It's also providing a good way to get rid of what I know I am not going to be reading again, which always helps. So far (and I still have heaps of shelves and boxes to go through, sigh), just under 2400 books, and I know that's not all of them, by a long shot.

Return to “General Discussion”