Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Royal Wedding: Talkback thread.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat May 7th, 2011, 5:27 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Doesn't look like her. Not just the tiara is wrong but the earrings too. They did a fair job on the dress, it would be very difficult to recreate the lace accurately in miniature. Ashton Drake did a better job overall.[/quote]

That's what I meant by ears, typo LOL!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat May 7th, 2011, 5:51 pm

It doesn't look like her at all, does it? I reckon they cheated and used the Marie Osmond doll myself :)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat May 7th, 2011, 6:03 pm

The only reason I found out about this doll is that it was shown on ET last night. You'd think they'd have shown a much better doll, as there are some of those out there!

Speaking of Marie Osmond, she remarried her first husband, wearing the same gown she wore at the first wedding. Hope it works out better this time!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun May 8th, 2011, 2:29 am

[quote=""Telynor""]Ok, here's another US company that has a nice gardenia scent --

http://www.caswellmassey.com/gardenia-s ... scent.aspx

Image[/quote]

Penhaligon's London do a gardenia eau de toilette too. I dropped into their shop on Regent Street the other day and tried the gardenia tester. It's certainly not cheap but I don't care because once I'd sniffed it I decided I didn't want another gardenia scent. Not that it didn't smell good and very similar to the Floris one but that was the problem. I used to use the Floris Gardenia range a lot a few years when I was in a job situation I was very fed up with and the scent immediately reminded me of that job! So I'll pass on it for now. Isn't it funny what strong associations a scent can have?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun May 8th, 2011, 2:31 am

Danbury Mint's Catherine Doll is here:
http://www.danburymint.com/collectibles ... Bride_Doll

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon May 9th, 2011, 2:55 am

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Penhaligon's London do a gardenia eau de toilette too. Isn't it funny what strong associations a scent can have?[/quote]

It's not strange at all. Psychology has known for years that scent can trigger strong memories. Pehhaligons does wonderful scents, grossly expensive, but then the nice stuff is almost never cheap.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon May 9th, 2011, 2:40 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Danbury Mint's Catherine Doll is here:
http://www.danburymint.com/collectibles ... Bride_Doll

SM[/quote]

Now that's more like it!

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon May 9th, 2011, 2:48 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]It's not strange at all. Psychology has known for years that scent can trigger strong memories. Pehhaligons does wonderful scents, grossly expensive, but then the nice stuff is almost never cheap.[/quote] Their bottles and labels are beautiful -- I like the unique look they give to each one. I wonder if any stores in the US carry Penhaligon's?

I just read a book on perfume, and the author touched on this; how the part of the brain that processes the olfactory sense is very near the part of the brain that processes memory, and so smell is linked to memory in a way that no other sense is. I've always been a perfume lover and when I smell a fragrance that I used to wear, it "takes me back" to that phase of my life.

But my strongest (and oddest) scent/memory link is with Scotch clear tape; when I smell it my brain immediately says "Christmas." And not just any Christmas, but those of my early childhood; I can even "see" the wrapping paper, which is totally different from the type of wrapping paper I buy now as an adult. Even in the middle of summer, when I smell Scotch tape I think Christmas. But it has to be Scotch brand; no other brand has that certain smell that is linked to my memory. :)

Re the doll -- I think she looks more like Celine Dion than Kate. It think it must be very, very hard to make a likeness of someone's face and get it just right, because it so rarely happens. Also, the fabric they used for her blue engagement dress is all wrong -- it doesn't at all hang like the real one (which is what made the real one so elegant). Sorry, that's the seamstress in me again. :)
Last edited by Michy on Mon May 9th, 2011, 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed May 11th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Just read that Beatrice is going to auction off the infamous....er...... hat? (is that what that thing was?)

Thought you all would want to know so you can get your winning bids in quick. ;)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu May 12th, 2011, 1:58 am

[quote=""Michy""]Just read that Beatrice is going to auction off the infamous....er...... hat? (is that what that thing was?)

Thought you all would want to know so you can get your winning bids in quick. ;) [/quote]

It'll be interesting to see how much it goes for.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Return to “Chat”