Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Did Arthur and Katherine of Aragon have sex?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.

Did Arthur and Katherine have sex during marriage?

The marriage was not consummated
78%
The marriage was consummated
22%

Total votes: 23

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Did Arthur and Katherine of Aragon have sex?

Post by Misfit » Wed May 4th, 2011, 11:57 am

I swore I'd never read PG's The Constant Princess, but it's up for a group read at Goodreads and I said I'd give it a go. I think I'm having some issues with PG's version of things (SPOILER highlight to revealArthur asks her on her deathbed to swear they'd never had sex and instructed her to marry Henry so she could be Queen in the end)

PG's theory not withstanding, I think the idea of whether or not the two *did it* and whether or not Katherine would lie and put her faith on the line for that lie an interesting one. What say the rest of you?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed May 4th, 2011, 12:24 pm

I vote no. Whatever PG says, Catherine's convictions and character were on display for 30-plus years. And we know the moral situation in which she was raised. I always look at the long view, when I have to decide how trustworthy a person is or isn't.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed May 4th, 2011, 12:46 pm

I've always felt that way as well, and why I always refused to read the book. I'm not buying into PG's version that much, but we got to talking over at Goodreads it is interesting to consider that she might be a princess first and do what she's got to do and make another dynastic marriage.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed May 4th, 2011, 1:27 pm

I voted no also. I think she would have been unlikely to make her famous statement, "I was a true maid without touch of man," in front of a spellbound audience if she believed that Henry could have contradicted her--which he personally never did under oath.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed May 4th, 2011, 4:31 pm

Eck! I voted wrong :( I meant to vote "no".

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed May 4th, 2011, 4:32 pm

I say no.

I don't think the witnesses in the trial were lying about what Arthur said though. What young man is going to emerge from the bridal chamber after the wedding night and admit that nothing happened? Of course he said they did. Doesn't mean it happened.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed May 4th, 2011, 4:33 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Eck! I voted wrong :( I meant to vote "no".

SM[/quote]

That's ok, Sonja. We all know you. We won't put you in the tower for it. :D

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed May 4th, 2011, 4:35 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]That's ok, Sonja. We all know you. We won't put you in the tower for it. :D [/quote]

Awww thanks! I figured out how to change the totals but it still has me shown as voting for "yes".

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed May 4th, 2011, 4:38 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]That's ok, Sonja. We all know you. We won't put you in the tower for it. :D [/quote]

Off with her head :D

Thanks everyone for voting, it's looking pretty unanimous at the moment.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed May 4th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Hmmm, looks like a familiar question from PG's forums. :D

I don't think they did either.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”