Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Royal Wedding: Talkback thread.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri April 29th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Why woud you find her sister's dress offensive, Divia?

I thought both the bride and her sister (and mother) looked lovely, very under-stated compared to previous royal brides but yes, it was the 80s then, although there are still a lot of OTT dresses out there!

and I cannot stand those fascinator things! One of Prince Andrew's daughters looked like she borrowed her outfit from Lady Gaga, the beige sort of creation, I can't describe it!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri April 29th, 2011, 2:43 pm

Got up late this morning and wanted to see the dress, so went to Google and typed in "the dress" just to see where it would show up in the listings...second!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri April 29th, 2011, 2:52 pm

I'm normally up at 5:30 AM getting ready for work. I had planned on watching my normal 15 to 20 minutes of local news before rousing the kids and getting dressed for work, but there was no local news to be found. ALL of my local news channels were broadcasting the wedding so I watched about 10 minutes of it. I also thought the bride's dress was classic and elegant.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri April 29th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Bridesmaids dresses are usually simpler versions of the bride's. Sometimes they are a different colour. I remember being a bridesmaid many moons ago and my dress was white with a lilac sash round the waist. I thought Pippa looked elegant in hers. I thought Kate's head-dress looked quite medieval - the overall effect was just beautiful.

I loved the car the happy couple drove to Clarence House in! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri April 29th, 2011, 4:15 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Why woud you find her sister's dress offensive, Divia?
[/quote]

The dress was white. In America the only one who wears white is the bride. I'm not saying the design of the dress was bad, I quite liked it. the color however is an entirely different matter.

Put a veil on her and she could have looked like the bride.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri April 29th, 2011, 4:16 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]And Pippa, her maid of honour, was pure swank in that sheath gown, wowser.[/quote]

You're not kidding. She was stunning too. Good genes in that family - the brother, if I may be permitted to say, was a bit of a dish too... ;)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri April 29th, 2011, 5:26 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Oh, one website said it was this one...Image
[/quote]

No, that's not it, I have a book call "The Queen's Jewels" and I found the tiara, and it's called a scroll tiara. The Queen has never worn it public but lent it to Margaret and Anne was painted in it.

This is it.

And the Queen Mother in it:

More images of ladies wearing it here:
http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/201 ... tiara.html

I thought Princess Catherine (Duchess Catherine?) look beautiful, the dress was simple, elegant and no frou frou! Regarding her sister in white, yes that was a bit odd.

I will wait til Harm can watch the wedding with me, but I looked at images on ET's website. I'm happy they kissed, cause commentators on ET kept saying stuff like they wouldn't kiss cause they don't do that.

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Fri April 29th, 2011, 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Fri April 29th, 2011, 5:32 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]You're not kidding. She was stunning too. Good genes in that family - the brother, if I may be permitted to say, was a bit of a dish too... ;) [/quote]

Why woud you find her sister's dress offensive, Divia?

Here we go again! Divia, lighten up! Pippa looked absolutely georgeous, but did not detract from the vision that was Catherine. The bride's mother was beautiful too! The whole family, including the brother who read the lesson so well, are so elegant.

Proud to be British today! :cool:

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Fri April 29th, 2011, 6:22 pm

Ahh the dress was gorgeous. I loved the lace effect, and the veil was so simple, but so stunning with the tiara. Don't think she could have chosen better :) I actually quite liked Pippa in white, think it went well with Kate's dress.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri April 29th, 2011, 7:08 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]No, that's not it, I have a book call "The Queen's Jewels" and I found the tiara, and it's called a scroll tiara. The Queen has never worn it public but lent it to Margaret and Anne was painted in it.
[/quote]

They didn't call it the scroll one though. Thats what I found, a different image. I wish there was a close up... :(

[quote=""Ken""]Why woud you find her sister's dress offensive, Divia?

Here we go again! Divia, lighten up![/quote]

Hey ken, kiss off. I can think whatever I want. I didnt like the white. I thought the dress was nice the color tacky. I'm entitled to my opinion just as you. So there ya go.
Last edited by Divia on Fri April 29th, 2011, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Chat”