Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where are you traveling to next?

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri April 29th, 2011, 1:28 am

I know about that one. The series sounds awfully good, and I really want to make time to read some of them.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Fri April 29th, 2011, 2:04 am

We'll have two kids in college in the fall, so we're putting it off a year, but if the sales of my books hold up, my husband and I are planning a trip to Wales (finally!) in September of 2012. Yay!

David Ross Erickson
Scribbler

Post by David Ross Erickson » Mon May 2nd, 2011, 12:51 pm

Wow! Everybody is so well-traveled. St. Petersburg sounds fantastic. Actually, we have a lot in common. While I won't be traveling to Stockholm or Russia this year, I do watch a lot of hockey on TV, so...just sayin.

This year I'll be visiting all the Mississppian archeological sites in the St Louis-Memphis-LittleRock triangle. The Mississippians are this year's passion for me. My passion for fried catfish is long-standing. So it'll be a good trip.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon May 2nd, 2011, 12:58 pm

One of these days when I'm back visiting family in the St. Louis area, I want to detour and visit Cahokia. Every time I've been, I haven't had a chance to do this, but it's on the wish list.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue May 3rd, 2011, 6:31 am

I've just added a Travel by Novel: San Antonio page. There are quite a few novels about the Battle of the Alamo, but I found disappointingly few historical novels set in San Antonio after 1836. By disappointingly few, I mean none, other than James A. Michener's Texas, which I haven't read, but which presumably doesn't drop San Antonio flat after the battle is over. Perhaps someone here can help me out?
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue May 3rd, 2011, 12:27 pm

Stephen Harrigan's upcoming Remember Ben Clayton is set partly in San Antonio in the post-WWI period. It's excellent - my favorite historical novel so far this year. (My review's on the author's website.)

Chris Little
Reader

Ash on Oregon Coast

Post by Chris Little » Wed May 4th, 2011, 6:09 am

http://www.paleolands.org/find/time/here/C50

Re: Ash on Oregon Coast … according to Ancient Anjin’s Almanac, for dry travel on the Oregon Coast, one should wait until the Sun has reached his north boundary (solstice/late June) … the modern inhabitants have a celebration in early June for calling one last blessing of rain from the departing Water Gods, something called the Rose Festival … the princess and the petals …

In late spring, if rain dictates, a trip to one of Oregon’s interior islands might provide a brighter, drier vista. The John Day Basin rates with the South Coast among my favorites. (hope link works)

Also, tic, you should consider earthquake potential … over the last 10ky, there have been about 40 major subduction zone earthquakes along the Oregon Coast. That’s an average of every 250 years. According to Japanese newspapers, the last tsunami sent there from Oregon was about 1700.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed May 4th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Hee, I appreciate all that, Chris. Actually I think if I want to avoid rain, I should just stay in Az. This time anyway, we'll be more prepared (last year we were in Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle and Portland and it rained just about every day. I had lots of short sleeved t shirts and one sweater. Yeah, I got to do some shopping for new warmer clothes, but still...)

Misfit, I saw your offer - Thanks, I think we've got it down. We will be driving from Astoria to Garobaldi, driving the three bay loop, then on to Newport, on to Crescent City, ending in the Eureka area and checking out the lost coast and the Humboldt Redwood State Park. We'll make it a point to check out Bandon. It should be fun - tho I am suspecting our gas bill will equal the price of the plane ticket. Ah well.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed May 4th, 2011, 2:31 pm

Ooh, Ash, I envy you! I wish I had the time to do that loop, just for nostalgia's sake. It's been almost thirty years since I fixed and delivered radios, radars, and sonars up and down the Oregon/Washington coast from the Coast Guard shop in Astoria. I've been known to watch 'Kindegarten Cop' and 'Goonies' just to relive the place, my year there was wonderful.

And it's been two decades since we packed the Lost Coast, too. Beautiful trails, pristine beaches--and poison oak.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed May 4th, 2011, 2:38 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Hee, I appreciate all that, Chris. Actually I think if I want to avoid rain, I should just stay in Az. This time anyway, we'll be more prepared (last year we were in Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle and Portland and it rained just about every day. I had lots of short sleeved t shirts and one sweater. Yeah, I got to do some shopping for new warmer clothes, but still...)

Misfit, I saw your offer - Thanks, I think we've got it down. We will be driving from Astoria to Garobaldi, driving the three bay loop, then on to Newport, on to Crescent City, ending in the Eureka area and checking out the lost coast and the Humboldt Redwood State Park. We'll make it a point to check out Bandon. It should be fun - tho I am suspecting our gas bill will equal the price of the plane ticket. Ah well.[/quote]

The Redwoods are awesome. If there's enough time I'd recommend going further down the coast towards Mendocino and Elk. You will love Astoria, and hopefully you'll have time to Cape Disappoint Park. There's another park whose name escapes me at the moment that's an old Fort and has a cool Lewis and Clark exhibit.

First tip: Crescent City is lovely. However, the fog horn works very very well and it can be very very foggy at night. Book a room in another town if you prefer sleep :o
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Travel”