Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? April 2011

Retired Threads
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat April 23rd, 2011, 6:17 pm

Welcome, Steve! Feel free to list your book here (other authors on this board are welcome to do the same).
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat April 23rd, 2011, 6:27 pm

[quote=""Steve Anderson""]Hi all. New guy here. I just started Field Gray by Philip Kerr. If you're not familiar, his Bernie Gunther series is historical espionage/crime noir. In this one former Berlin detective Gunther has to come clean about his role in WWII, and the story switches between the 1940s and 1950s. Like it so far. It's already better than his last one and definitely my kind of read.[/quote]

Hi Steve, welcome. Always nice to see a new face here.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Steve Anderson
Scribbler

Post by Steve Anderson » Sat April 23rd, 2011, 7:28 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Welcome, Steve! Feel free to list your book here (other authors on this board are welcome to do the same).[/quote]

[quote=""Misfit""]Hi Steve, welcome. Always nice to see a new face here.[/quote]

Thanks so much for the welcome you two! And for the authors thread -- good to know. Be seeing you around soon.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Anderson on Sat April 23rd, 2011, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.stephenfanderson.com | Novelist, writer, literary translator

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sat April 23rd, 2011, 10:28 pm

Reading Rivals in the Tudor Court by DL Bogdan. I'm not that far into it yet, but liking it so far.

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Sun April 24th, 2011, 4:14 am

Jane Seymour - Frances B Clark as well as The lady Elizabeth - Alison Weir
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun April 24th, 2011, 10:25 am

I shall be starting Althea by Madeleine E Robins later on today, a Librarything Early Reviewer ebook. It looks like it's a little similar to a Georgette Heyer.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun April 24th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Finishing up The Farthest Eden by Louise O'Flaherty (old Los Angeles) and then plan to dig into Columbia by Pamela Jekel. Set in the Pacific Northwest and the Columbia River. From the jacket fluff it looks like it winds up with the building of the Grand Coulee Dam.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sun April 24th, 2011, 6:48 pm

Finished Kate Quinn's 'Daughters of Rome' yesterday which I highly recommend, a really good book. Can't wait to see what Kate's next book will be :) As I've got so many Dynasty books on Mt tbr, I've started 'The Hidden Shore' by Cynthia Harrod Eagles.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun April 24th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Read Beth Patillo's Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart today, and to be honest, didn't care for it much. Just too predictable. Grumble. Not sure of what's next at the moment.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon April 25th, 2011, 2:15 am

Columbia by Pamela Jekel. About the Columbia River of the Pacific Northwest. Has a river ever had a *biography* before?

Return to “Archives”