Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? April 2011

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed April 20th, 2011, 2:43 pm

[QUOTE=Telynor;83856]I'm looking forward to the comments on that one...
QUOTE]

It is definitely Seamie and Willa's story, starts about eight years later. That's all I'll say for now.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Wed April 20th, 2011, 10:27 pm

After reading a slew of depressing novels about middle-aged spinsters and mental illness, I'm back to HF for some comfort reading: The Falcons of Montabard. It's been on Mount TBR for nearly two years now!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed April 20th, 2011, 11:22 pm

[quote=""Kasthu""]After reading a slew of depressing novels about middle-aged spinsters and mental illness, I'm back to HF for some comfort reading: The Falcons of Montabard. It's been on Mount TBR for nearly two years now![/quote]

Ooooh, Sabin ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Thu April 21st, 2011, 2:19 am

I am reading Michael Connelly's The Fifth WitnessEver since seeing the movie The Lincoln Lawyer, I've been rereading the novels that have Mickey Haller as the main character.
At least I'm trying to read! My daughter is getting married on the 29th, and though it's a very small and intimate affair, I'm getting soo excited! :)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu April 21st, 2011, 2:27 am

[quote=""Berengaria""]
At least I'm trying to read! My daughter is getting married on the 29th, and though it's a very small and intimate affair, I'm getting soo excited! :) [/quote]

Congrats! Was the 29th chosen cause of the Royal Wedding or was it planned long before W&K were engaged?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Thu April 21st, 2011, 4:02 am

[quote=""Berengaria""]I am reading Michael Connelly's The Fifth WitnessEver since seeing the movie The Lincoln Lawyer, I've been rereading the novels that have Mickey Haller as the main character.
[/quote]

I just finished The Lincoln Lawyer last Friday and then saw the movie Saturday. I enjoyed it so much that I too was very tempted to go right into his next Mickey Haller ones. Instead I decided (since the next one, The Brass Verdict, also has the Harry Bosch character and I've never read any of that series) to try the first of the Harry Bosch series. So I'm on "The Black Echo" now.

Other recent reads (since I haven't posted in a while) were:

Anya Seton - "Katherine" - very good! (My first time reading it or any Seton)

Brigid Pasulka - "A Long Long Time Ago and Essentially True" which takes place in Poland, alternating between a family in WWII times and their granddaughter in contemporary times, after the fall of communism. Unlike the many reviewers whose reviews I read, I had a hard time really getting into it and stuck it out but overall wouldn't recommend it.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu April 21st, 2011, 10:45 am

I quite liked Pasulka's book, but I guess it is like any other book and not for everyone.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu April 21st, 2011, 3:59 pm

Finished Coalescent by Stephen Baxter. I found myself impatient with the modern SF part of the story, but quite enjoyed the historical part set during the 5C in Britain and Rome. Quite a good feeling for the fall of a civilization and how quickly (a generation or two) a city based economy can devolve to an agrarian one.

Currently reading Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende. So far, much better than the last couple of hers I read. Starting Goethe's Faust.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Fri April 22nd, 2011, 12:24 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Congrats! Was the 29th chosen cause of the Royal Wedding or was it planned long before W&K were engaged?

SM[/quote]
It just happened to work out that way....her man is from Brazil and the wedding had to figure with his travel times.....so that British wedding of some sort is happening at the same time as my darling daughter's nuptials!
Last edited by Berengaria on Fri April 22nd, 2011, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling error
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Fri April 22nd, 2011, 12:26 am

[quote=""javagirl""]I just finished The Lincoln Lawyer last Friday and then saw the movie Saturday. I enjoyed it so much that I too was very tempted to go right into his next Mickey Haller ones. Instead I decided (since the next one, The Brass Verdict, also has the Harry Bosch character and I've never read any of that series) to try the first of the Harry Bosch series. So I'm on "The Black Echo" now.

Other recent reads (since I haven't posted in a while) were:

Anya Seton - "Katherine" - very good! (My first time reading it or any Seton)

Brigid Pasulka - "A Long Long Time Ago and Essentially True" which takes place in Poland, alternating between a family in WWII times and their granddaughter in contemporary times, after the fall of communism. Unlike the many reviewers whose reviews I read, I had a hard time really getting into it and stuck it out but overall wouldn't recommend it.[/quote]
You'll love the Bosch series! Do you remember the movie Bloodworkswith Clint Eastwood. Connelly wrote the book.
Image My 4 girls!

Return to “Archives”