Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Brenna's 2011 Booklist

Keep track of your reading for 2011 here! One thread per member, please.
Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun April 3rd, 2011, 1:49 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I've noticed that in Vanora Bennett's books originally published in the UK, particularly Figures in Silk. You would think the editors would give things a good going over though.[/quote]

One would think but I've noticed it more and more in recently released novels. Perhaps the economy is forcing fewer editors to review more books which will obviously lead to things being missed. I almost picked up a copy of the Figures in Silk as it was in the bargain section of Barnes and Noble, but ultimately decided to spend my money on something else.
Brenna

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun April 3rd, 2011, 2:15 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]One would think but I've noticed it more and more in recently released novels. Perhaps the economy is forcing fewer editors to review more books which will obviously lead to things being missed. I almost picked up a copy of the Figures in Silk as it was in the bargain section of Barnes and Noble, but ultimately decided to spend my money on something else.[/quote]

I've noticed that as well, and I suspect editors may be a dying breed. Unfortunate. Some people really enjoyed Figures, but there were a lot of story issues that really ticked me off. Can't say without spoiling, but Bennett really threw a couple of plot twists at the end that were just too bizarre and unbelievable. And I'm not talking historically accurate or not, I'm talking common sense unbelievable :mad:
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue April 5th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Finished G.R Grove's Storyteller last night and I am undecided on how I feel about it. What I thought I was getting when I purchased the book was a storyteller's version of what 5th and 6th century Wales was like. Instead, I got a lot of confusing names that I couldn't keep straight and an interesting plot surrounded by the storyteller. I have to admit that the characters (the ones I could keep straight anyway) caught me and I will likely purchase the next one in the series sometime. A character list, especially for someone unfamiliar with the Welsh language, would have been helpful. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the book. 3.5/5
Brenna

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed April 13th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Finished Susan Fraser King's Queen Hereafter. While I really enjoyed Lady MacBeth, I had a really hard time with Queen Margaret. I knew before reading the book that she was considered a "saint" and was very religious. However, every page was filled with her praying or begging for forgiveness and it just got to be too much by the end. I am curious as to what Ms. King is working on next as Lady MacBeth and Queen Hereafter seemed to flow easily from one then to the other. 3/5
Brenna

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue April 19th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Finished Born of the Son by Joan Wolf last night. This time period is difficult as there is so much going on and authors have a hard time because of the lack of written history. However, I really enjoyed Wolf's take on Wessex and the Britons vs Saxon battle. Very well done! 4.5/5

I also finished her Edge of the Light novel about King Alfred and again, stellar book! I'm so glad these books were recommended to me on this forum because I was seriously missing out! This book also helped me to understand Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Series which I started last night. 4.5/5!
Last edited by Brenna on Mon April 25th, 2011, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brenna

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon May 2nd, 2011, 10:20 pm

Finished Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom, book One in the Saxon Series. I liked it, but it certainly was a different portrayl of King Alfred than the one proposed by Joan Wolf.
Brenna

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun May 8th, 2011, 12:05 am

To say I enjoyed Elizabeth Loupas's The Second Duchess would be an understatement. Some have classified it as gripping and I'm not sure I agree. I certainly thought it was quick moving and I enjoyed the storyline to be sure, but I wasn't really on the edge of my seat. That being said, this author will certainly be added to my favorites list!

P.S I bailed on As Meat Loves Salt. Wasn't what I thought it would be and I couldn't get into the storyline. I even skipped a few chapters to see if it got better and nope!
Brenna

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun May 8th, 2011, 2:10 am

Oh yes, a sequel to "Duchess" would be stellar!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue May 10th, 2011, 12:34 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Oh yes, a sequel to "Duchess" would be stellar!

SM[/quote]

I just read an interview she did, and I don't think she has any plans for a sequel! :( I could just google to find out what happens next, but darnit, I'd have so much more fund reading her version!

Also, I finished Bernard Cornwell's The Pale Horseman, second in the Saxon series. Waiting on my hubby to finish the third one so I can get to it!
Brenna

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon May 16th, 2011, 1:20 am

I finished Sandra Gulland's "Mistress of the Sun" yesterday. It was ok, not as good as her Josephine B trilogy. The story seemed to lack direction and character development. 3/5 stars
Brenna

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2011”