Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed October 15th, 2008, 4:32 am

Finishing up Devil's Brood. Next on tap is Ace in the Hole by Annie Proulx, for a book group next month. Also will be starting Partisan's Daughter by Louis de Benares and A Crack in the Earth by Simon Winchester (really cool cover, opens up into a newspaper front page from the SF earthquake coverage!)

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed October 15th, 2008, 4:42 am

Finished up The Devil's Brood -- wow. All I am going to say right now is, wow. Now have started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and enjoying it very much. Both books I am certain are going to end up on my top ten list for the year.

leehow
Reader

Post by leehow » Wed October 15th, 2008, 11:59 am

Richard Bolitho – Midshipman by Alexander Kent

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed October 15th, 2008, 12:04 pm

[quote=""leehow""]Richard Bolitho – Midshipman by Alexander Kent[/quote]

My mum used to love the Bolitho books. I've never read one, but only because I've never got around to it. Let us know how you go on with it.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MLS859
Reader

Post by MLS859 » Wed October 15th, 2008, 6:24 pm

To Hold the Crown -- Jean Plaidy

leehow
Reader

Post by leehow » Thu October 16th, 2008, 8:09 pm

[quote=""EC2""]My mum used to love the Bolitho books. I've never read one, but only because I've never got around to it. Let us know how you go on with it.[/quote]

I am half way through and can fully understand why your mum loved them,It one of the more realistic naval novels i have read.Very good

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu October 16th, 2008, 8:23 pm

I gave up on Spirit and now I'm looking to read something else. A Quiet Adjustment just came in from the Lib. Its Victorian Era, so hopefully its good.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

chuck
Bibliophile

Bolitho

Post by chuck » Thu October 16th, 2008, 10:38 pm

;) [QUOTE=leehow;8320]I am half way through and can fully understand why your mum loved them,It one of the more realistic naval novels i have read.Very good[/Q

I have read all but two of the Kent Bolitho series....I liked that he was a contemporary of Nelson and they do cross paths a couple of times....Same kind of vain as the Hornblower series....Be aware Kent in many Critic's circles is not appreciated....I for one really enjoyed the series.....

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Fri October 17th, 2008, 1:08 pm

I'm halfway through Katherine Neville's The Fire, which is the sequel to The Eight, that came by mail a couple days ago. I'm not as fascinated by the characters and adventure/action in Fire as I was in Eight, but will finish reading Fire without doing too much skimming through details about historical characters that just doesn't to add anything useful to the story.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri October 17th, 2008, 1:25 pm

The Passionate Queen, a 1966 historical novel by Barnaby Ross about Margaret of Anjou. I'm also reading The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer, a great nonfiction book about day-to-day life in the 14th century.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Return to “Archives”