Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? April 2011

Retired Threads
SLStevens
Scribbler

Post by SLStevens » Sun April 3rd, 2011, 8:56 pm

I'm reading entirely too many things at once, but this month I'm finishing up Stephanie Dray's historical fantasy Lily of the Nile. I plan to start reading Laurel Corona's Penelope's Daughter. In the nonfiction department, I'm reading Red Land, Black Land: Daily Life in Ancient Egypt by Barbara Mertz and Ancient Egyptian Magic by Bob Brier as research for my novel.
You can call me Samantha. :)

Blog: http://modernscribe.blogspot.com/

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun April 3rd, 2011, 11:31 pm

[quote=""SLStevens""]I'm reading entirely too many things at once, but this month I'm finishing up Stephanie Dray's historical fantasy Lily of the Nile. I plan to start reading Laurel Corona's Penelope's Daughter. In the nonfiction department, I'm reading Red Land, Black Land: Daily Life in Ancient Egypt by Barbara Mertz and Ancient Egyptian Magic by Bob Brier as research for my novel.[/quote]

I really enjoyed Laurel Corona's Penelope's Daughter
Brenna

SLStevens
Scribbler

Post by SLStevens » Mon April 4th, 2011, 4:02 am

[quote=""Brenna""]I really enjoyed Laurel Corona's Penelope's Daughter[/quote]

Good, that makes me look forward to reading it. :) I love books about women's perspectives on the Trojan War and its aftermath. I noticed from the back of the book that she's a humanities prof, so I'm happy about that too because it (hopefully) means the historical details will be accurate.
You can call me Samantha. :)

Blog: http://modernscribe.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon April 4th, 2011, 6:24 am

Posted by SLStevens
I love books about women's perspectives on the Trojan War and its aftermath.
Thanks to another poster here I recently discovered The Mouse God by Susan Curran, and really enjoyed it because of its female perspective on the events of the Trojan War, with Briseis, Chryseis and Andromache featuring strongly. It's an older novel, published in 1987, which seems to have dropped under the radar, but a good read.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon April 4th, 2011, 7:16 am

Started Alexandria by Lindsey Davis (a Didius Falco mystery). I'm not usually into the historical mysteries, but I'm a sucker for anything set in Alexandria.
I enjoyed this (see review). Between reading the novel and doing a bit of research for the review, I learned a lot that I had not known before about ancient Alexandria - the setting in the university-like Great Library is fascinating and memorable.

Reading a scholarly NF at the moment, Black Africans in Renaissance Europe. Then on to Margaret Campbell Barnes's Mary of Carisbrooke.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Mon April 4th, 2011, 7:28 am

The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon April 4th, 2011, 8:44 am

Non Fic for a couple of days.
Eliza Acton cookery book - reprint of revised edition 1855 for Amazon Vine.
New issue of Good Food magazine
The World of Eleanor of Aquitaine: Literature and Society in Southern France between the 11th and 13th Centuries. Edited by Marcus Bull and Catherine Leglu. Some fascinating essays.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Sintra
Reader

Post by Sintra » Mon April 4th, 2011, 10:43 am

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding

I guess, it was hugely inspired by Firefly and for now it's really good.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon April 4th, 2011, 1:55 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Non Fic for a couple of days.
Eliza Acton cookery book - reprint of revised edition 1855 for Amazon Vine.
New issue of Good Food magazine
The World of Eleanor of Aquitaine: Literature and Society in Southern France between the 11th and 13th Centuries. Edited by Marcus Bull and Catherine Leglu. Some fascinating essays.[/quote]

How funny, I'm reading an NF cookery book too--Eleanor Fettiplace's Receipt Book.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon April 4th, 2011, 2:19 pm

[quote=""MLE""]How funny, I'm reading an NF cookery book too--Eleanor Fettiplace's Receipt Book.[/quote]

I have the Latin/English Apicius which is my go to book for Roman feasts!

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm starting The Triumph of Caesar by Steven Saylor.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Archives”