Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? March 2011

Retired Threads
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed March 30th, 2011, 5:49 pm

I've finished "Immortal With A Kiss: Emma Andrews, Vampire Hunter #2" by Jacqueline Lepore (346pgs, 2011). I'm really enjoying this series, and I know there'll be more (she can't leave it the way it is!), I just hope I don't have a long wait!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Elysium
Reader

Post by Elysium » Thu March 31st, 2011, 6:17 pm

I'm reading Nefertiti by Nick Drake. I've already read the second book because i didn't realise it was part of a serie. Finally got my hands on this one!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu March 31st, 2011, 6:28 pm

[quote=""Elysium""]I'm reading Nefertiti by Nick Drake. I've already read the second book because i didn't realise it was part of a serie. Finally got my hands on this one![/quote]

I've read both, in order :) , the last one is out in Dec I believe.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat April 2nd, 2011, 1:59 am

Reading Sailing to Sarantium. I am enjoying the book so far, think it might be an interesting look at time of Justinan. I am a little bugged by his place names - he's making his own world thats sort of like Byzantium with name changes, but I'll get used to it.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat April 2nd, 2011, 2:34 am

This is what Guy Gavriel Kay does. The majority of his novels are inspired by particular historical periods, but not set within them. Hard to categorize them exactly as they're not quite either fantasy or alternate history. I guess it gives him more room to play with capturing the flavour of a period without having to worry about strict historical accuracy.

He has a useful website here:
http://www.brightweavings.com

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Sat April 2nd, 2011, 3:37 am

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sat April 2nd, 2011, 9:31 am

[quote=""Ash""]Reading Sailing to Sarantium. I am enjoying the book so far, think it might be an interesting look at time of Justinan. I am a little bugged by his place names - he's making his own world thats sort of like Byzantium with name changes, but I'll get used to it.[/quote]

Yes, as Annis says, that's his style. I guess it gives him more freedom. Some work better than others for me, but I found the two Sarantium books among his best.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat April 2nd, 2011, 2:20 pm

Well, now that I have it in my head what he is doing, its fine, Im enjoying it. It probably helps that I know a few things about the time period anyway, so events, places and names are somewhat easy to match up (the map helps; a list of characters would have helped even more)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat April 2nd, 2011, 2:31 pm

Starting Daneclere by Pamela Hill.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sat April 2nd, 2011, 4:49 pm

Gave up on the Nevil Shute a couple of days ago, got through the first 40 odd pages and found it too slow to start - maybe later when I'm in a different mood :) Just finished 'The Kitchen Boy' by Robert Alexander and was absolutely gripped by it, especially loved the twist at the end.

Return to “Archives”