Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Worst reaction ever to a critical review?

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue March 29th, 2011, 12:10 pm

Wow. At first I was just completely dumbfounded. My second reaction was to laugh (it's so ridiculous, it's laughable). My third was to feel very sorry for Ms Howett.

She brought it on herself, of course, and I don't blame anyone for the things they said about her behavior or writing because they are all accurate. But in my experience, people who react so volatility to constructive criticism are usually suffering from severely low self esteem. Depression and low self esteem can make people lose all sense of appropriate behavior as their negative emotions consume them. I hope she can overcome this - maybe this was even her breaking point.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 29th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Interesting is BigAl has posted the review at Amazon. Wowza at the helpful votes it is picking up for this. Same thing happened to the gal who posted the review on Candace Sams. She flew to the highest peaks of Amazon ranking land. Just for fun let's see. Currently #5885.

There's a whole slew of reviews up on Ammy as well. Management just walked in the door, will have to read them later, but they look interesting.
Last edited by Misfit on Tue March 29th, 2011, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue March 29th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Ow, that's simply marvellous!! Couldn't read all the comments, but got as far as her classy two-word response, which told me all I needed to know!

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue March 29th, 2011, 4:23 pm

What I don't find attractive either, however, is the way so many people are now queuing up to kick her. That's not to excuse her behaviour in any way shape or form, but the response reminds me a little of a feeding frenzy. I mean not one of the new reviewers have ever responded badly to a criticism, have they?

It's one of the things to be expected on the internet, I suppose. :-(
Last edited by parthianbow on Tue March 29th, 2011, 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: error
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 29th, 2011, 4:30 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]What I don't find attractive either, however, is the way so many people are now queuing up to kick her. That's not to excuse her behaviour in any way shape or form, but the response reminds me a little of a feeding frenzy. I mean not one of the new reviewers have ever responded badly to a criticism, have they?

It's one of the things to be expected on the internet, I suppose. :-( [/quote]

No I agree, what's being posted as a review at Amazon is really out of line and bashing the author. I wrote to Amazon and asked them to have a look at them and hopefully remove the ones not in their posting guidelines.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue March 29th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Yes, I think it's getting a little nasty to say the least. She's stabbed herself in the foot with her remarks, so I don't think there's any need to rub salt into the wound.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue March 29th, 2011, 4:43 pm

I'm trying to feel sorry for her, but I can't. As a formerly self-published author, I can testify that it's very hard to get reviewers to look at one's book, and behavior like hers just gives reviewers another excuse to avoid self-published books. Which is a pity, because there are a lot of gems out there.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 29th, 2011, 5:38 pm

I'm chuckling a bit over the thread about this at the ABNA forum (Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award). After the huge kerfuffle and major flame war over critical reviews they received from some vine members now it's all about how important critical reviews can be, over opinions from friends and family.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue March 29th, 2011, 6:10 pm

I recognize the name. She had left a comment on my blog plugging her book after I posted a review of a different nautical fiction novel. (All comments of that type get removed.)

I'm amazed how much press this kerfuffle has gotten - it was in two of my publishing e-newsletters this morning.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue March 29th, 2011, 7:35 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I'm trying to feel sorry for her, but I can't. As a formerly self-published author, I can testify that it's very hard to get reviewers to look at one's book, and behavior like hers just gives reviewers another excuse to avoid self-published books. Which is a pity, because there are a lot of gems out there.[/quote]

Feeling sorry for her doesn't mean I excuse her behavior, if that's what you're thinking. I feel sorry for because I understand why she's probably reacted this way - but that doesn't mean her behavior isn't wrong.

Return to “The Writing Business”