Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Digital books from..everyone?

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Digital books from..everyone?

Post by Divia » Sat March 12th, 2011, 4:22 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this thread. So I place it here.

Have bloggers noticed more people pitching their digital books. In the past two weeks I have had four requests to do this. All of these books are self published. Do you think self published authors are moving towards this sort of format now?

Is it cheaper?

I don't have an ereader and I don't want to read a book on the computer, so I pass them up. Does anyone accept e books?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat March 12th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Divia, since December digital has jumped from 9% of the trade book market to more than 50%. And it costs almost nothing to produce them.

I have had an ereader since September, and I have to confess the 80-90% of my reading is now done on my kindle. I just bought one for my husband and my almost-blind mother. My son reads mainly on his fancy phone. My daughter and son-in-law have switched primarily to audiobooks. If you are going to keep any credibility in reviewing books, you're going to have to get an e-reader. But they're a lot cheaper now.

Formats are changing, but story remains the same.

The question is where publishers will go. Personally, I would like the seal of approval of a professional putting tens of thousands into my book to demonstrate to the world that my writing is worth the investment of disinterested parties. However, if it costs them little, and they get most of the profits, I'm wondering if it is worth it.

Apparently lots of other established writers have the same thought. Authors are putting their OOP backlist titles into electronic format as fast as they can. And publishers are trying to make a rights-grab to get some of those profits, even though they have done nothing to earn them.

How to sort out the noise is the next question for readers. And how to rise above it is the challenge for writers. I wouldn't dismiss all of these books as 'not ready for publication' -- just scan a few pages and see if any of them grab you.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat March 12th, 2011, 5:19 pm

[quote=""MLE""]If you are going to keep any credibility in reviewing books, you're going to have to get an e-reader. But they're a lot cheaper now.
[/quote]

Well, as soon as someone pays off my mounting debt because crap keeps breaking in my house I"ll be sure to get one. Anyone want to pay for my new holding tank and water pump? It was only 1,200. Anyone? No? hmm.

Well then, I guess I'm out of an e reader. And I"m sorry but I'm not doing to jump up and run to get one when the majority of e book requests I am getting are from self published people.

I know its the future, but that doesnt mean they are all good. I was curious if others were getting a lot of self published authors trying to sell their wares?
Last edited by Divia on Sat March 12th, 2011, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mirella

ebooks and self-published authors

Post by Mirella » Sat March 12th, 2011, 7:57 pm

At http://historicalnovelreview.blogspot.com we are accepting self-published authors and we do accept a few ebooks, depending on the reviewer - not all of us own ereaders.

Collectively, we have discovered many wonderful self-published gems out there, but we also encountered some duds. The good ones seem to come from self-published authors who put a great deal of effort in the editing side through critique groups and professional editing. The duds seem to come from self-published authors who put very little emphasis on the editing side - and it shows.

It's a quandry because more and more authors are choosing to self-publish. On our blog, to help us decide, we ask for an excerpt and want to know what efforts the author put into editing.

There are 6.5 million kindles out there now and many authors are abandoning traditional publishing to self-publishing, which has now become easier and quicker. So it will be a real trend of the future and we who own review blogs will begin to see more and more such requests.

I think the key is in the editing!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat March 12th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Expect to get a lot more requests for reviews of eBooks, Divia, but there is no rule that says you have to accept. Maybe you could put a disclaimer up that you don't read eBooks. Might cut down on at least some of that as more authors skip printing and go straight to digital.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat March 12th, 2011, 10:29 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Expect to get a lot more requests for reviews of eBooks, Divia, but there is no rule that says you have to accept. Maybe you could put a disclaimer up that you don't read eBooks. Might cut down on at least some of that as more authors skip printing and go straight to digital.[/quote]

Yeah I did put one on today because of so many requests. :)

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun March 13th, 2011, 5:10 pm

You don't need an e-reader to read ebooks. There are apps that allow you to read the books on your computer or smart phone (just Google Kindle and/or Nook app.) Not as comfy as curling up by the fire with a paper book, but doable. I've read several books in PDF form on my Netbook.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun March 13th, 2011, 5:22 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]You don't need an e-reader to read ebooks. There are apps that allow you to read the books on your computer or smart phone (just Google Kindle and/or Nook app.) Not as comfy as curling up by the fire with a paper book, but doable. I've read several books in PDF form on my Netbook.[/quote]

I have a laptop attached to a large flat screen strategically placed so that I can read it curled up on my settee about three of four feet away for when I am really tired. Sometimes I find this easier reading than from the Kindle itself when I am not travelling about.

I did this before I bought the Kindle because I find that if you really want to read a book that is not easily available in hard copy, you will find a way.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun March 13th, 2011, 8:49 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]You don't need an e-reader to read ebooks. There are apps that allow you to read the books on your computer or smart phone (just Google Kindle and/or Nook app.) Not as comfy as curling up by the fire with a paper book, but doable. I've read several books in PDF form on my Netbook.[/quote]

Yeah, I know that, but I really dont want to go down that road. I can't read on my computer, and I dont have smart phone.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon March 14th, 2011, 4:42 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Yeah, I know that, but I really dont want to go down that road. I can't read on my computer, and I dont have smart phone.[/quote]

I realize it's very much a matter of preference whether people read from paper or screens of various kinds, but several people have said they don't get ebooks because of the initial cost of the e-reader. I was just pointing out that, if they didn't mind reading on their computer or smart phone, they could enjoy the cheaper prices of ebooks even without the initial investment in an e-reader.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”