Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu March 10th, 2011, 7:34 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]CG -- The book Never Let Me Go just broke my heart when I read it. I want to see the film, but wonder if I'm going to like it or not.

last night I finally had a chance to watch All That Jazz without any breaks. Very intense, very adult, and good for anyone who is interested in Broadway. Review is here if anyone is interested: http://www.epinions.com/review/All_That ... 3063772804[/quote]

I haven't read the book. Not sure I want to, after the film. Though I have enjoyed his other novels.

All That Jazz is one of my all-time favorite films! I think I went to see it six times in the cinema, I was so entranced. Fosse was amazing. He choreographed and directed Cabaret - another film I can watch over and over - and the recent Chicago owes a huge debt of gratitude to him. I think I read the actual choreography was based on his; he'd intended always to make Chicago into a film, as it was one of his Broadway hits, but he never did.
Last edited by cw gortner on Thu March 10th, 2011, 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri March 11th, 2011, 3:49 am

A League of Their Own. Liked it more than I thought I would. Good film.

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Fri March 11th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Rango - the animated western with Johnny Depp (and others... :) ) SLOC & I thooughly enjoyed ourselves by picking out all the other film references! Best of the non-Westerns were Apocalypse Now & the trench run in Star Wars (I nearly laughed myself sick over that one).
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri March 11th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Swing Vote. Really good. Fantastic cast.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat March 12th, 2011, 4:28 pm

It's Kind of a Funny Story--a quirky comedy that seemed to come and go quickly this past summer. About a teen who checks himself into a mental hospital and finds his life isn't near as horrific as he imagined.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat March 12th, 2011, 9:46 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]It's Kind of a Funny Story--a quirky comedy that seemed to come and go quickly this past summer. About a teen who checks himself into a mental hospital and finds his life isn't near as horrific as he imagined.[/quote]

Good. More teenagers need to realize that they are not in the midst of tragedies (for the most part). I'll add this to my list.

Watched Easy Virtue last night. Loved it.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon March 14th, 2011, 4:02 am

[quote=""fljustice""]I really liked how they deepened several of the characters, especially Mrs. Bennet. Her desperation really came through. Having failed to produce the male heir that would have saved her family, and completely abandoned by her husband, she bucked up and did what needed to be done. She might not have been the smartest women, but she did her best to make sure her daughters would not have to live in poverty and disgrace. Given her flighty characterization in past movies, this was a refreshing change. Still flighty, but with a steely purpose![/quote]

Exactly! While I can certainly sympathise with Mr. Bennet (how many men could honestly withstand that much estrogen on the loose in the house?), but he did fail in one particular matter -- he retreated into his library and essentially gave up, except for Lizzy, which he could handle. I loved that scene between Mrs. B and our heroine when she reveals her true self, and lets slip that polite, ditsy mask. It's so perfect.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon March 14th, 2011, 4:27 am

Yesterday, "Despucable Me", cute movie.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon March 14th, 2011, 4:36 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]Exactly! While I can certainly sympathise with Mr. Bennet (how many men could honestly withstand that much estrogen on the loose in the house?), but he did fail in one particular matter -- he retreated into his library and essentially gave up, except for Lizzy, which he could handle. I loved that scene between Mrs. B and our heroine when she reveals her true self, and lets slip that polite, ditsy mask. It's so perfect.[/quote]

Where in the book, Mr. Bennet is a very sympathetic character, in this version, the writers showed the consequences of his apathy. Both Elizabeth and Jane gently fault his retreat into the library. He also has a cruel steak, like he was punishing his wife for "her" failure (not knowing that men are responsible for gender, the women were always blamed!) At the very beginning, he makes a small effort by visiting his neighbor, Mr. Bingley, but takes pleasure in not telling his wife. Later he's positively gleeful in presenting her with a room of totally unsuitable suitors (the odious Collins brothers.) It's only towards the end, that he takes some action by personally going after his errant daughter, only to be injured and lapse back into his passive role. Of course, the wife and daughters eagerly become his doting nurses, so it's a very co-dependent relationship! Sorry, probably more analysis than anyone wanted, but I found the "secondary" characters in this movie, much more developed than in the book or other movies; taking the early feminism of the original to new heights.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Elysium
Reader

Post by Elysium » Mon March 14th, 2011, 7:38 pm

Watched Shelter and liked it.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”