Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Upcoming Historical Movies

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Sat April 24th, 2010, 1:33 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]Neil Marshall, director of Dog Soldiers, is doing a film sort of on the lines of Eagle of the Ninth. Dominic West of The Wire is in it, as is Micael Fassbender, the guy who put in the most amazing performance in Hunger. Hopefully it won't be tooooo 'Hollywood does Rome' style...
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=24388

clips here too
http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?h ... =N&tab=wv#[/quote]

Saw Centurion last night, on the first day of its release in the UK. Although parts were excellent, I was underwhelmed overall. It wasn't the historical inaccuracies (although some really grated, I could take the rest - it was a film after all, not a book). No, it was the story, which just didn't engage me the way I'd hoped. Fassbender is excellent, and so are many of the combat scenes *note - not for the squeamish - they're really gory*. Three stars out of five. Hoping that Eagle of the Ninth will impress more. (And Agora.)
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 4th, 2011, 11:08 am

Ironclad is released this week - reviews not good!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri March 4th, 2011, 1:17 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Ironclad is released this week - reviews not good![/quote]

I suppose I need to watch this and then blog about it.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 4th, 2011, 4:07 pm

imdb has James Purefoy listed as playing someone called "Marshall"; I don't know if it's William or a general term for the character!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri March 4th, 2011, 8:51 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]imdb has James Purefoy listed as playing someone called "Marshall"; I don't know if it's William or a general term for the character![/quote]

I think his first name is supposedly Tom. They don't say it's William, but that's the idea they want to convey, especially with a 'lady Isabel' involved! :eek:
They are also claiming historical accuracy.
When last I looked at the history, the Templars were not involved in the siege of Rochester and neither was William Marshal. He was on the Welsh Marches at the time, and had he been present, he would have been fighting for John, not against him!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sat March 5th, 2011, 11:45 am

According to the review in my paper, Purefoy's character is a Templar, but of course as we all know William didn't take his vows until he was dying. Perhaps the character is a composite of several people?

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat March 5th, 2011, 12:13 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]According to the review in my paper, Purefoy's character is a Templar, but of course as we all know William didn't take his vows until he was dying. Perhaps the character is a composite of several people?[/quote]

Could they have intended him to be the Marshall of the temple, a military ranked title in the Templars?

PS I know nothing of this film. Ill try to find out about it.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Thu March 17th, 2011, 8:53 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]Saw Centurion last night, on the first day of its release in the UK. Although parts were excellent, I was underwhelmed overall. It wasn't the historical inaccuracies (although some really grated, I could take the rest - it was a film after all, not a book). No, it was the story, which just didn't engage me the way I'd hoped. Fassbender is excellent, and so are many of the combat scenes *note - not for the squeamish - they're really gory*. Three stars out of five. Hoping that Eagle of the Ninth will impress more. (And Agora.)[/quote]

Just watched Centurion. I liked it more than id expected to (but I went in with low expectations). Not brilliant but still likable. I agree, about the goriest film ive seen in a long time.
as always some of the cliches grate. Why is there always a traitor? And why is there always a black guy, this time a Roman legionarie from nubia? come on. And the love story felt a bit out of place.

I found the picts to be the most interesting part. they were not presented as mindless savages but with a real beef against rome. plus, its hard to get accuracy wrong on the picts when we know so little about them. (heck, we dont even know what they called themselves. Picts was a roman term) Im really curious as to what language the picts were speaking. Was it scots-gaelic? Does anybody know?

And it was nice to see referernce to hadrians wall and the 9th being struck from the official records. Over all it wasnt as much fun as "gladiator" but quite better than "the last legion".

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri March 18th, 2011, 1:42 am

I just saw the movie poster and some stills for Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. It looks to be very good -- this one should be interesting. Here's the link: http://ping.fm/qHDqg

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Sat March 19th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Thanks, Telynor. I loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan! I hope the makers don't screw it up too much. Have a good weekend.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”