Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

South Riding- new TV series

annis
Bibliomaniac

South Riding- new TV series

Post by annis » Mon February 21st, 2011, 11:29 pm

I read this terrific book by Winifred Holtby last year and discussed it a bit with others here.

I see that Andrew Davies BBC TV series for the BBC based on the book has just debuted to mixed reviews:
http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.u ... ticle.html.

I guess it will be a year or two before we get it Downunder, going by previous experience :( There was a well received TV series based on SR years ago- I know the edition of SR I read had a publicity still as the cover picture. It will be interesting to see what Davies does with it.

In conjunction the Guardian has published this article about Holtby's life (unfortunately a short one) and work:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/fe ... -rereading

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 2:05 am

Hmm, I know nothing about this author, the book or the tv series. 1930s stuff really isnt my cup of tea. I may rent it if it comes to DVD in America.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 9:00 am

The first episode was shown on Sunday in the UK. I've recorded it - I haven't had chance to watch it yet. I do have the book on my TBR, too.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 11:39 am

SR was first filmed in the 70s, but I don't remember much about it!

Watched the new version on Sunday, it was a bit wobbly at first but gradually settled down and it was quite good - felt rather rushed though, and Sarah came across as a bit of a superwoman, to me anyway! But I quite enjoyed it, it looks promising.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”