Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where Are You Now?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat February 19th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Paris, during the Reign of Terror.

"The streets of Paris, strewed with the carcases of the mangled victims, are become so familiar to the sight, that they are passed by and trod on without any particular notice. The mob think no more of killing a fellow-creature, who is not even an object of suspicion, than wanton boys would of killing a cat or a dog. We have it from a Gentleman who has been but too often an eye witness to the fact. In the massacre last week, every person who had the appearance of a gentleman, whether stranger or not, was run through the body with a pike. He was of course an Aristocrate, and that was a sufficient crime. A ring, a watch chain, a handsome pair of buckles, a new coat, or a good pair of boots in a word, every thing which marked the appearance of a gentleman, and which the mob fancied, was sure to cost the owner his life. EQUALITY was the pistol, and PLUNDER the object."

From The London Times
Monday, Sept. 10, 1792

The execution of Robespierre signals the end of the Terror
(Those who live by the guillotine shall die by the guillotine).

Currently reading Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
Last edited by annis on Sat February 19th, 2011, 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat February 19th, 2011, 8:42 pm

The Cliff House, San Francisco 1906

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat February 19th, 2011, 9:06 pm

This looks like a very cool place, Misfit. What are you reading? Just out of curiosity I looked up the Cliff House and found a website which has a slide show of all its different incarnations
http://www.cliffhouse.com/
Last edited by annis on Sat February 19th, 2011, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat February 19th, 2011, 9:39 pm

[quote=""annis""]This looks like a very cool place, Misfit. What are you reading? Just out of curiosity I looked up the Cliff House and found a website which has a slide show of all its different incarnations
http://www.cliffhouse.com/[/quote]

Annis, A Race to Splendor by Ciji Ware. Thanks for that other link, I had just found that myself when looking for older images of the Cliff House. You might also google images of the Sutro Baths. The ruins are seriously cool to wander around in.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun February 20th, 2011, 12:06 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Are you enjoying The Bed I Made, Madeleine? I loved it.

I see you are also reading A Game of Thrones - how are you finding it? It's being dramatised on Sky Atlantic soon.[/quote]

I'm still "getting into" The Bed I Made as the story is being revealed rather slowly, and I must admit I'm finding the heroine slightly irritating, but it's early days yet!

I'm reading "A Game" in preparation for the TV version, a colleague has been raving about it and I'm quite intrigued by it, it's taken a while to really get into it (although it's well-written and quite easy to read, short chapters) as there are so many characters! But the glossaries at the back are helpful, and I'm just about getting there now! I've looked at the cast on IMDB and I think they've cast it quite while, Sean Bean is in it as one of the patriarch-type heads and I can picture him quite easily.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sun February 20th, 2011, 12:06 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]The Cliff House, San Francisco 1906

Image[/quote]

that looks precarious! :eek:

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun February 20th, 2011, 12:16 pm

Yes, it does look precarious, doesn't it! It reminds me a little of the hotel which eventually fell into the sea in Scarborough (UK).
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun February 20th, 2011, 12:17 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I'm still "getting into" The Bed I Made as the story is being revealed rather slowly, and I must admit I'm finding the heroine slightly irritating, but it's early days yet!

I'm reading "A Game" in preparation for the TV version, a colleague has been raving about it and I'm quite intrigued by it, it's taken a while to really get into it (although it's well-written and quite easy to read, short chapters) as there are so many characters! But the glossaries at the back are helpful, and I'm just about getting there now! I've looked at the cast on IMDB and I think they've cast it quite while, Sean Bean is in it as one of the patriarch-type heads and I can picture him quite easily.[/quote]

Probably one of the reasons why I'm interested in reading/watching it!! :o :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 20th, 2011, 1:29 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]that looks precarious! :eek: [/quote]

I wouldn't want to be there when the earth shakes ;)

That building has gone through several reincarnations. The current one, Image

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sun February 20th, 2011, 6:04 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Yes, it does look precarious, doesn't it! It reminds me a little of the hotel which eventually fell into the sea in Scarborough (UK).[/quote]

I thought of that hotel too, such a shame. :(

Return to “General Discussion”