Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat January 22nd, 2011, 12:26 pm

Sorry to hear you're having such a worrying time.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Wed February 16th, 2011, 12:25 am

My school staff had a meeting today about next year's school budget. Last year, we cut a lot of programs. This year, we have to cut even more. More kids are going to start falling through the cracks, which is terrible. But it would also be terrible if we had to raise taxes 16% for our taxpayers. There are no good scenarios in this nightmare. I feel bad for our community, our students, and our staff (many of whom will be losing their jobs). I work in a high poverty area, because I've always believed poor kids deserve good teachers, too, but on a day like this, I wonder what it would be like to work in a rich area with far fewer money problems.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed February 16th, 2011, 2:01 am

I LOST the beautiful blue bookmark I won from Daphne's blog. :( :( :( I am beyond annoyed. It was my favorite one! It was BLUE.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 16th, 2011, 4:04 am

[quote=""Divia""]I LOST the beautiful blue bookmark I won from Daphne's blog. :( :( :( I am beyond annoyed. It was my favorite one! It was BLUE.[/quote]

I feel your pain. Bookmarks are not safe in my house, and I love blue. I've taken to using old business cards instead. I don't mind when they disappear.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat February 19th, 2011, 10:42 pm

Just got an email saying that there is a very good possibility of me getting bumped down from the high school and moved to an elementary school. I am beyond upset. I hate little kids so the thought I would have to teach them is VERY disturbing.

I think I might have to move. I'm gonna have to leave my family and friends because I can't teach those snot nosed brats. I did it for a year(only cause I knew I would go back to the HS) but I can't do it the rest of my life. I'd rather die first.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat February 19th, 2011, 11:13 pm

Very sorry to hear that, Divia. I hope it doesn't happen after all.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 10:02 pm

Not been a good few days.
A close friend of mine was visiting from Sweden, but I was too ill to meet her as planned at the weekend, and meanwhile she got ill with swine flu on her brief trip here.
My Mum reluctantly went abroad to visit my sister on her own as my father is too ill to travel and she was knocked over there and is coming home on a zimmerframe and wheelchair.
And this evening, I went to drive my car and found it all prettily concertina'd from the front, with no note admitting responsibility.
Grrrrr.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 10:39 pm

That's awful, SPB. Hope things improve for you and your family soon.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 11:04 pm

What a terrible run of bad luck, SPD! Hopefully things will now be improving.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed February 23rd, 2011, 12:07 am

Still trying to come to terms with the extent of the death and destruction in my old home town, Christchurch, from yesterday's major earthquake. It's hard to take it in- I feel quite stunned.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christc ... ds-missing

Return to “Chat”