Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This Day in History

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri February 11th, 2011, 12:01 am

February 11 in royal history:

February 11, 660 BC - Traditional founding of Japan by Emperor Jimmu Tenno

February 11, 1466 - Birth of Elizabeth of York, daughter of Edward IV, wife of Henry VII, at Westminster Palace

February 11, 1503 - Death of Elizabeth of York, wife of Henry VII, daughter of Edward IV, at the Tower of London; buried at Westminster Abbey
Elizabeth died on her 37th birthday from complications of childbirth. Her daughter Katherine was born on February 2, 1503 and died on February 18, 1503.

February 11, 1511 - Death of Henry, Duke of Cornwall, son of Henry VIII, at Richmond Palace, Surrey; buried at Westminster Abbey
This little Prince was the New Year's baby (born January 1, 1511) who brought so much joy and hope to his parents, Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon. Think of how different England would have been if this little Prince had lived and succeeded his father!

February 11, 1929 – Death of Prince Johann II of Liechtenstein in Valtice, in the current Czech Republic, buried at Liechtenstein Crypt in Vranov nearby Brno, Czech Republic

February 11, 1948 - Birth of Prince Katsura of Japan
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri February 11th, 2011, 11:41 pm

February 12 in royal history:

February 12, 1554 - Execution of Lady Jane Grey at the Tower of London; buried at St. Peter ad Vincula, Tower of London

February 12, 1627 – Death of Prince Karl I of Liechtenstein, buried at the Liechtenstein Crypt in Vranov nearby Brno, Czech Republic

February 12, 1689 – Death of Marie Louise of Orléans, first wife of Charles II of Spain, in Madrid; buried at the Monastery of San Lorenzo El Real in El Escorial

February 12, 1768 - Birth of Francis II, the last Holy Roman Emperor

February 12, 1771 - Death of Adolf Fredrik of Sweden at Stockholm Palace; buried at Riddarholmen Church

February 12, 1912 - Abdication of the last emperor of China, Hsuan Tung (P'u Yi)

February 12, 1932 - Birth of Princess Astrid of Norway, daughter of King Olav V and sister of King Harald V
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat February 12th, 2011, 11:45 pm

February 13 in royal history:

February 13, 858 – Death of Kenneth I of Scotland (Kenneth MacAlpin) at Forteviot, Perthshire, Scotland; buried at Isle of Iona, Scotland

February 13, 1177 - Wedding of Joan of England, daughter of Henry II, and William II the Good, King of Sicily at Palermo, Sicily

February 13, 1457 – Birth of Mary, Duchess of Burgundy, daughter of Charles the Bold and wife of Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor

February 13, 1542 - Execution of Catherine Howard, Henry VIII's fifth wife, at the Tower of London; buried at St. Peter ad Vincula, Tower of London

February 13, 1660 - Death Karl X Gustav of Sweden at Gothenburg, Sweden; buried at Riddarholmen Church

February 13, 1662 - Death of Princess Elizabeth, daughter of James I, wife of Elector Frederick V of Palatinate, at Leicester House, London; buried at Westminster Abbey

February 13, 1689 - William III and Mary II take the throne together

February 13, 1956 – Birth of Princess Alia bint Al Hussein of Jordan, daughter of King Hussein and his first wife Princess Dina Al Hussein
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon February 14th, 2011, 1:09 am

February 14 in royal history:

February 14, 1317 – Death of Marguerite of France, second wife of Edward I, at Marlborough Castle, Wiltshire; buried at Grey Friars Church, Newgate, London

February 14, 1400 - Murder of deposed Richard II at Pontefract Castle; buried at Westminster Abbey

February 14, 1613 - Wedding of Princess Elizabeth, daughter of James I, and Frederick V of Palatinate at Chapel Royal, Whitehall Palace, London

February 14, 1714 – Death of Maria Luisa of Savoy, first wife of Philip V of Spain, in Madrid; buried at the Monastery of San Lorenzo El Real in El Escorial

February 14, 1847 – Birth of Maria Pia of Savoy, wife of Luís I of Portugal

February 14, 1945 - Birth of Prince Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein

February 14, 1981 - Wedding of Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and Maria Teresa Mestre y Batista
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon February 14th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Oregon becomes the 33rd state in the United States, February 14, 1859.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon February 14th, 2011, 11:50 pm

February 15 in royal history:

February 15, 1710 – Birth of Louis XV of France

February 15, 1922 – Death of Princess Catherine Dolgorukova, morganatic wife of Tsar Alexander II of Russia, in Nice, France; buried at in the Cimetière Russe de Caucade, Nice

February 15, 1952 – Funeral of George VI
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed February 16th, 2011, 12:55 am

February 16 in royal history:

February 16, 1279 – Death of Afonso III of Portugal

February 16, 1337 - Birth of William of Hatfield, son of Edward III, at Hatfield House, Hertsfordshire

February 16, 1819 - Death of Prince Honoré IV of Monaco

February 16, 1991 – Birth of Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg, daughter of Grand Duke Henri
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu February 17th, 2011, 12:04 am

February 17 in royal history:

February 17, 1461 – 2nd Battle of St. Albans, the Lancastrians defeat the Yorkist Earl of Warwick who leaves his hostage, Henry VI, under a tree

February 17, 1598 - Boris Godunov is elected Tsar of Russia

February 17, 1718 - Death of Lady Charlotte FitzRoy, illegitimate daughter of Charles II by Barbara Palmer, 1st Duchess of Cleveland (aka Barbara Villiers, Countess of Castlemaine)

February 17, 1718 - Death of Prince George William, son of George II, at Kensington Palace; buried at Westminster Abbey

February 17, 1729 – Death of Johann Ernst IV, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld

February 17, 1861 - Birth of Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont, wife of Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany, at Arolsen, Waldeck, Germany

February 17, 1934 – Death of Albert I of the Belgians in a climbing accident at Marche-les-Dames, Ardennes, Belgium; buried in the Church of Our Lady, Laeken, Belgium

February 17, 1954 - Birth of Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri February 18th, 2011, 12:43 am

February 18 in royal history:

February 18, 1478 – Execution of George, Duke of Clarence, who opposed his brother Edward IV, in the Tower of London; buried at Tewkesbury Abbey, Gloucester

February 18, 1516 - Birth of Mary I at Greenwich Palace

February 18, 1790 – Death of Elisabeth of Württemberg, first wife of Francis I of Austria; buried at the Imperial Crypt, Vienna

February 18, 1861 - Victor Emmanuel II of Sardinia becomes the first King of a united Italy

February 18, 1947 - Birth of Princess Christina of the Netherlands, daughter of Queen Juliana
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri February 18th, 2011, 11:32 pm

February 19 in royal history:

February 19, 1594 - Birth of Henry, Prince of Wales, son of James I, at Stirling Castle, Scotland
Henry predeceased his father, so his brother, the future Charles I, became heir.

February 19, 1670 – Death of Frederik III of Denmark and Norway in Copenhagen; buried at Roskilde Cathedral

February 19, 1817 - Birth of Willem III of the Netherlands

February 19, 1960 - Birth of Prince Andrew, Duke of York, at Buckingham Palace
Full name: Andrew Albert Christian Edward
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Return to “General Discussion”