Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Review book surprise

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue February 8th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Yes, even better than chocolates!! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue February 8th, 2011, 2:41 pm

I missed this yesterday - but the envelope it came in has a HUGE sticker on it with "Caution! Condom enclosed - Fragile" complete with illustration. It showed up at my university address. I bet the folks in the mailroom were amused...

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue February 8th, 2011, 3:29 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]I missed this yesterday - but the envelope it came in has a HUGE sticker on it with "Caution! Condom enclosed - Fragile" complete with illustration. It showed up at my university address. I bet the folks in the mailroom were amused...[/quote]

Oh, that's too tacky! I agree with others that you should report the PR firm to the publisher.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue February 8th, 2011, 3:34 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Oh, that's too tacky! I agree with others that you should report the PR firm to the publisher.[/quote]

I agree. They might not even know what's going on.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue February 8th, 2011, 6:59 pm

I agree with the others, you should let the publisher know. I don't read chick lit, religious or otherwise, but I do read a fair amount of religious/Christian fiction and, even without knowing who the author or publisher are, I would bet that neither of them know the book is being promoted this way. And I would bet even more that both of them would be pretty unhappy about it.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue February 8th, 2011, 7:05 pm

I've done a little investigating, and it appears the book is self-published. If that's the case, I'm sure the author knows how it's being promoted. Good grief, and good luck to them - they're going to need it.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue February 8th, 2011, 7:10 pm

That sounds like sabotage. I could understand it in a tacky way if it was erotica, but religious fiction? :eek: :eek:
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue February 8th, 2011, 9:16 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]Good grief, and good luck to them - they're going to need it.[/quote] You're absolutely right. Sounds like the author needs to decide which audience she's writing for.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 9th, 2011, 2:54 am

Unless she's writing the story of Judah's sons and Tamar. In that case it's still not the best promotion idea, but not as bad as otherwise.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed February 9th, 2011, 7:31 am

Off topic, but I’m reminded of an off-putting sight I came across the other day (and equally off-putting advertising :) ) A customer came to the desk and I did a double take. This was a really large and homely guy with an unfortunate manner. He had a very short T-shirt and very low-slung pants. In between a large white, hairy belly overhung a clearly visible g-string, with, crowning touch, a condom tucked cheekily into the side of the g-string. Sexy not :(

Return to “Chat”