Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Mon January 31st, 2011, 12:12 am

Yesterday I enjoyed a double-feature of the Swedish Films The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Noomi Rapace is brilliant as Salander.
Last edited by donroc on Mon January 31st, 2011, 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon January 31st, 2011, 3:21 am

Went to the theater. A rare treat courtesy of my sisters. Saw No Strings Attached. Funny film, though not as funny as my hilarious sister sitting beside me. First time I've liked Ashton Kutcher in anything.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon January 31st, 2011, 4:58 pm

Saw Rabbit Hole starring Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhart, Sandra Oh, Jon Tenney, and Dianne Wiest. A quiet little film written by a neighbor of ours about a couple trying to recover from the death of their child. Didn't hit a single wrong note.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue February 1st, 2011, 7:47 pm

Walk Hard: the Dewey Cox Story. Funny in places, and certainly hits all the things you'd expect in a rock star mock-biopic, but it was a pretty over the top. Music was good though. John C. Reilly is very talented.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue February 1st, 2011, 9:30 pm

I haven't watched these yet but have the DVR set - today on TCM (they start in about 45 minutes);

Richard III with Laurence Olivier
Henry VIII (can't remember which one though)
A Man for All Seasons
Anne of a Thousand Days (I already have this one but thought i would include it in case others are interested)

Also, on February 4th they are showing A Lion in Winter.

I know what I will be watching on Sunday while hubby is at his Super Bowl party!

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed February 2nd, 2011, 8:36 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Cranford, courtesy of Netflix. Absolutely delightful![/quote]

Have you seen Return to Cranford yet?

chuck
Bibliophile

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Post by chuck » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 5:12 am

[quote=""donroc""]Yesterday I enjoyed a double-feature of the Swedish Films The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Noomi Rapace is brilliant as Salander.[/quote]

I concur......I just finished watching "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest".... thoroughly enjoyed the Trilogy.....Must read the books.....

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 1:48 pm

[quote=""chuck""]I concur......I just finished watching "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest".... thoroughly enjoyed the Trilogy.....Must read the books.....[/quote]

Many side plots, scenes. and characters were omitted from the films. A TV mini-series might have been better yet.

I doubt if an unknown writer in the USA could have gotten published with the same writing because the author breaks every current "rule" that offends:

Overuse of was/were
Adverbs galore
Overuse of that
Info dumping
Head-turning
Detailed descriptions of rooms and locales
Many, many characters

Very much like novels of yore, which I prefer.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 4:45 pm

Watched Doubt on DVD last night. All four major actors got Academy nominations...none won. Great performances, intriguing theme.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 10:14 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]I haven't watched these yet but have the DVR set - today on TCM (they start in about 45 minutes);

Richard III with Laurence Olivier
Henry VIII (can't remember which one though)
A Man for All Seasons
Anne of a Thousand Days (I already have this one but thought i would include it in case others are interested)

Also, on February 4th they are showing A Lion in Winter.

I know what I will be watching on Sunday while hubby is at his Super Bowl party![/quote]

The Henry VIII movie was one from 1933 - tried to watch it but had to turn it off after about 20 minutes (even though there were some funny lines).

Been watching The Shadow of the Tower. The production is pretty low budget but the story is very detailed. I think you definately have to have a basic knowledge of the latter part of Richard III's reign and the main players around Richard and Henry.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”