Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Cathedral Of The Sea - Ildefonso Falcones

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
stu1883
Avid Reader
Location: I live in Bristol, England with my wife Nicki & our kittens Boomer & Magic

The Cathedral Of The Sea - Ildefonso Falcones

Post by stu1883 » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 6:22 pm

I have a feeling we have a book that has slipped through our radar!

My dad brought this to my attention at Christmas, even ringing me especially to tell me about it.

I downloaded a sample from Amazon for my Kindle and I was absolutely gobsmacked by the emotions it brought up. I was horrified, enthralled, sympathetic, angry, offended and completely hooked.

I'm going to begin reading it at the weekend - does anyone want to join me? Link to Amazon product below........hope to get a book buddy or two!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cathedral-of-th ... PQA0ADZIOV

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 9:05 pm

Sure, I'll join you. I was about 200 pages in, and it dropped to the bottom of the nightstand pile. I have put in a lot of research on the area, and Falcones is pretty over-the-top. But that's what makes a story, I suppose.

I've been meaning to finish it.

stu1883
Avid Reader
Location: I live in Bristol, England with my wife Nicki & our kittens Boomer & Magic

Post by stu1883 » Fri February 4th, 2011, 8:07 am

[quote=""MLE""]Sure, I'll join you. I was about 200 pages in, and it dropped to the bottom of the nightstand pile. I have put in a lot of research on the area, and Falcones is pretty over-the-top. But that's what makes a story, I suppose.

I've been meaning to finish it.[/quote]
Great MLE! I have to say I do not know much about Spain during this time and it is an area of history I will be researching more and more over the next year or so as I have an idea for another novel - however Im trying to finish the one I've started first!

Will be starting it tomorrow or Sunday...............happy reading!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri February 4th, 2011, 1:33 pm

I may be joining you. I've had this on my TBR mountain for ages. I tried it once and found it slow going, but if I'm reading with others, I probably will have better luck.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri February 4th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Where in the story did you fizzle out, Ash? I got as far as Barcelona, and then something else caught my eye...

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat February 5th, 2011, 2:17 am

About that same time. But I am not sure if it was the book, or many other distractions from that time period.

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Wed February 16th, 2011, 12:08 am

This was a book my agent encouraged me to read as an example of the sweeping type of HF story that sells. I was about 50 or so pages in and got sidetracked by other things, but I do mean to get back to it. I'll be eager to see what you all think of it.
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed February 16th, 2011, 12:21 am

Okay--I am officially moving it from the bottom of the nightstand pile. I need to find my place again, but the protag had just settled into Barcelona.

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Wed February 16th, 2011, 12:22 am

That's just about where I left off, too! But first I have two-three books I need to read for review.
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

stu1883
Avid Reader

Post by stu1883 » Wed February 16th, 2011, 2:22 pm

Bit late starting it, just settling down to immerse myself in medieval Spain.........good luck book buddies!

Return to “Book Buddies”